Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brief RV of TI Jazz Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I picked up a set from the Dude Pit and slapped 'em on my Moon Jazz 5. My first impression was, "Wow! These feel great!" I loved the silky feel, the tone (kind of a warm and dynamic old school tone) and the lack of tension compared to typical RW's. They
    respond well to percussive style playing, ghost notes, muffled rakes, etc and even slappping. Not particularly bright strings but that's cool with me because I've used Elixirs for quite awhile and I love their lack of brightness.

My dislikes:

I couldn't get the D note (3rd fret) on my B to stop buzzing without raising the action absurdly high. I fought with it for a couple of days and finally took them off and put the Elixirs back on. If you have somewhat of a heavy plucking hand, these probably aren't the strings for you. The loose tension seemed to elicit clacking at the bridge which I had never heard before with the Elixirs. I should have known that such light gauge strings wouldn't work well for me but I wanted to check 'em out because of all the great things I've heard about them.

Overall, a great product, exceptional feel and killer tone, just too lightly gauged for me. Because I liked the feel so much I went back to the pit and ordered a set of the Power Bass RW's. These are said to have greater tension and are wound with heavier gauges overall except the B is a .119 like the Jazz Rounds. (This has me a little concerned but I'm still gonna check 'em out.)

I'll write a brief RV of these when they arrive as I think they may be better suited for my Neanderthal style attack.

Mike

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks for the review. Other than the rattling, how was the B generally, in terms of clarity, fundamental, etc.?

Also, if you still have 'em, do you want to make me a deal?

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The B was great overall. That was the only problem area. Otherwise, it was clear and articulate with a nice thump.

I stil have 'em. I paid $44 shipped. How about $20 shipped thru the Postal Service? All the strings are inatct and uncut. I'm not sure if I kept the box but I'm sure I have another to send them in.

Email me if you want them.

Thx,

Mike
    mtp18@alltel.net

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks for the info. Email sent.