Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

brigadoon?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by velvetkevorkian, Nov 8, 2005.

1. been asked to sightread this tomorrow night as my first ever paid gig- way hey! :cool:

BUT i have no idea what to expect, having been flung in at the deep end as a sub for a proper bass teacher. don't even know if i'm playing on my own, helping a section or what! :help:

anyone know anything about it? is it hard? should i bother turning up? ;)
    cheers!
    k xx

2. No worries...Brigadoon is a very simple show. I read it down with no problems. Best of luck.

3. thanks man! thats exactly what i wanted to hear! my friend who's big on musicals said she'd "heard it was quite difficult musically", so i was a bit woried, but that sounds good. :)
    thanks again

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The only real tune I can remember in there is ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE....

5. the constant key changes were a bit gratuitous, but to be honest the hardest part of it was playing on someone else's rather lovely 5 string. kept on going to do "bum BUM bum" perfect cadences, but instead of a nice clean statement, i'd go for the E and whack the B, giving a lovely low end thump. want one though.

then i got jumped on the way home :(
    no harm done fortunately... does this often happen when you play in musicals?
    cheers guys 'n gals!

6. One of my favorite tunes is from that show. The beautful ballad 'Heather on the Hill'
    I gave up TB...at least until I threw this in.
    Great lyrics and Ed, the changes on the bridge will give ya whip-lash.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Heather on the Hill, I'm not hip. Does Gene sing that or is it the girl? Or is it the one the whole village sings? Damn, I hate this Jazzheimer's....

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    depends on the musical

9. Gene sings it to Cyd Charisse. While they dance around on the heather on the hill. I was madly in love with her legs.
    The one where the whole village sings is Frankenstein.....

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    :)

11. i think it was that bum note i played in the 3rd number of the 2nd act that did it...

paul... i'm glad i've helped inspire someone! :p

12. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Velvet... when you say you were "jumped", are you saying that you were attacked by an unruly thug on the way home? Did you fight him off with your bow while using your bass as a shield?

13. that is indeed what i meant... fortunately i only had my bow with me (i was using someone else's bass, and it stayed there) so i successfully legged it :) discretion is indeed the better part of valour...