Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bright and longlasting nickels?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hujo, Oct 7, 2002.

1. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello.. I'm getting tired of the stainless steel strings that came with my Status, I get a quite thin and metallic sound when playing in the upper registers. I've been reading a bit here about nickels and stainless, and i know all the standard facts about how they differ and such... But I don't have much hands-on experience...

I want to fatten the sound in the upper registers about, without loosing all the treble.

So, I want a bright, longlasting nickle string, that will fit my 35" scale 5 string. Any tips?

And any tips on where to get cheap strings in Europe/Sweden?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The more I read here the more I'm sure that srings are a totally personal thing. What one person swears by another hates. I think the only possible way to find which ones are going to give you what you want is by trial and error. I've gone through just about every set on the market and settled on Daddarrios (sp?). Bought real expensive strings several times and they went dead faster than most.

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, I realize that it's a personal and subjective thing, but i'd still like some tips. What kind if D'addarios? Thanks!

BTW, I read some good things about Sunbeams, are they worth trying? Anyone?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I've always ended up going back to D'Addario XL's. No matter what I switch to(except DR Hi-Beams:) depending on the bass), they always seem to last the longest, and have a really nice tone. They mellow nicely when they are worn in. Great strings for the money.:)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    what he said.....

never tried Sunbeams. Lots of people seem to swear by D'addarios - and they're fairly inexpensive. I personally think that the hyped up over advertized over priced strings are load of bull. Many here would probably argue that. I used to buy Blue Steels cuz I believed the ads and I found that the D'addarios last me lots longer and DO age more to my liking.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Fodera strings are the ebst I've found and I've tried almost all of them over the years