Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bright and tight

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by amistybleu, Mar 10, 2006.

1. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    OK, bought some Roto Swing 66s and the E string .105 was sloppy as ****:bawl: ( I play agressive finger style) and I love a bright, growling sound and am looking for strings with more stiffness/tension to reduce the fret buzz.
    I am mainly focusing on SS DR High Beams and SS Low Riders

I play Heavy Rock if this info helps, please give me your insight.

P.S. I am not looking for the deep throaty funky slap sound.

Thank Bro's

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I tried the DR LoRiders and for some reason they just weren't tight enough for me. Theyr were way too floppy. It seems to contradict what they're suposed to be like. Maybe I just had a bad pair. I currently have FatBeams and theyre much tighter. Good for slap which you seem to not want. Fender SS strings are also tight and good, might be what you're looking for.

3. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Yeah, I read the JUMBO thread (read this before posting STICKY) and it confused the hell out of me, Some people say they are tight and some say they are loose. what Gauge did you use?

4. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    not long ago i bought a set of Spector strings(5) and they seem to be tight and the sound is very nice,not too bright not too dark...
    price was 29.99.....
    however i have always use D'ADDARIO XL170 on my four sring

5. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Try D'Addario ProSteels or GHS Progressives.

6. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Arent the Progressives a guitar string:eyebrow:

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I always use the standard 45 to 105 because I like it and it's the easiest to find.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have found that "bright" and "high tension" tend to be opposites in strings.

For aggresive finger style you may have to raise the action to reduce fret buzz.

How about going to a more bright amp, say a GK, and then switching to flats? Flats tend to have more tension and work well for agressive playing. You can make up for the loss of brightness with the brighter amp.

Learn to live with the buzz. If it always happens, that is bad. But if it only happens when you dig in it can actually add more aggression to your sound. A bit of fret buzz or clacking when you push hard can make it sound like you are going "over the top", especially for heavy rock.

I guess what I am saying is you have to look at the entire system, not just the strings.

9. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I had Elixers on prior with livable buzz for my style, put on some roto swing 66s and they (just the E) stunk, put on GHS Boomers .115 E, no buzz, to thick, to Deep in tone

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    +1

You can get the brightest strings in the world, and witht he right EQ on the right bass, through the right amp, played the right way, could sound VERY dark. I would say just go for a nice tight set of strings, and whatever you dont like about the tone, try changing by changing technique (maybe playing with a pick will give you a brighter, more agressive sound?) and EQ.

11. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    There is still some Progressive bass strings on the market but I do believe GHS has ceased production of them.