Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bright Eyes anyone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Conor Oberst is the best songwriter to come around in years. Anyone agree?

2. Lover I don't have to love tickles my fancy,especially the keyboard/lyrics:)

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Osama, you dirty dog, I came all the way over here from there and you posted my post. HOW DARE YOU!

4. (thanks to Stephen for telling me to download this song) :)

5. I'm more of an Elliot Smith fan. He's a pretty damn sweet songwriter, Conor's too damn depressing. Ted Leo too is a damn sweet songwriter.

6. He's not always depressing. "Bowl Of Oranges" and "Make War" are fairly upbeat tunes.

"Make War" imo is one of the songs written ever. Ever.

7. Yep me likes what little I have heard of them. Good emo stuff.

8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I saw Bright Eyes on MTV 2 Sunday night and it was a 12 piece band. Do they always have a 12 piece band or was that just for that song alone?

9. which song did they play?

10. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I don't remember, but I meant that performence, not song.

11. He tends to change every tour. One of my friends who saw him about 2 years ago, said he had a 15-piece or so orchestra backing him, and when I saw him live, he had maybe a 5-piece (standard guitars and bass)

I guess its just whatever Conor is feeling at the moment.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, that would be Devin Townsend

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ohhhh cool this has been posted. i have been an oberst fan for awhile. he is one of the best songwriters i think, maybe the best. too bad he's an awful singer. but he's one of those singers that's so bad you can't help but like it. you know what i mean...

14. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    "Conor Oberst is the best songwriter to come around in years. Anyone agree?"

Considering that "At the center of the world" is probably the only song I know that I could write down completely out of memory right now, yes.

"Lover I don't have to love tickles my fancy,especially the keyboard/lyrics"

This song is scary, because I feel like I can relate to it right now.

"Conor's too damn depressing"

I can right now somewhat relate to that, too.....

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I met the guy.

I forgot how, but my friend got backstage passes and she invited me to go to the show. I had never even heard of them at that point but I listened to as much as I could and I dug it and the show was even better.

He had anywhere between 5 and 8 people on stage for different songs. After the show I went backstage and he greeted us and signed my friend's CD and showed her a cool trick for opening them which I use to this day. He invited us to eat the food they had around there and hangout and talk. I also met his bassist. She was very friendly and I asked her about her bassclef tattoo she had on her arm which it turns out she got in Orlando.

The other bands that opened for them were really friendly people too.

Well anyways, great guy, great music.

Peace
    Nick

16. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Yeah, his stuff's not too bad. Have any of you heard of Death Cab For Cutie?? They've been around for a while, but they have some of the most beautiful tunes I've personally ever heard. If you get a chance, check them out.

Alex

17. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    The time I saw them was when they had a sort of underdogs of music award. They had today's hottest musicians pick a band that they thought deserved more attention than they got. I think it was the foo fighters who chose Bright Eyes (I am probably wrong). I remember after I saw the whole 12 piece band play their song, I was really blown away. I must say that this band really has a future.