Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bright Eyes tops Charts!!! GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ryan Schreiber reports:
    It's commonly accepted that the first stage in the grieving process is denial, a fact that many of us in the great blue state of Illinois were coldly reminded of last Tuesday evening, and again last night when it was revealed that Bright Eyes' two new singles-- "Lua" and "Take It Easy (Love Nothing)", which preview material from his two forthcoming full-lengths, due in January-- had taken the #1 and #2 spots on Billboard's singles chart. Truth told, we still aren't ready to accept it. In fact, we're hesitant to even report it, except we know it's true. When next week's charts are revealed on Saturday, Bright Eyes will sit proudly at the top. Surely, this is the news that sent Arafat over the edge.

You must be wondering, like we were, how it's possible that this Nebraska weasel knocked Usher and Alicia Keys' cheeseball duet "My Boo" from the top position. Doesn't the chart take sales and airplay into account? Well, yes, the Billboard Hot 100 does. But not the much more specific Billboard Hot 100 Singles Sales chart, where he's officially beaten them to a diva-y pulp. Still, that's ****ing crazy, especially for an indie artist.

More impressive still is that Bright Eyes has made Billboard history with this showing: It marks the first time that one artist dominates both the #1 and #2 positions on the chart since Puff Daddy reigned supreme in August 1997 with "I'll Be Missing You" and "Mo Money Mo Problems"-- and even that was questionable, as the latter cut was really a Notorious B.I.G. cut that simply featured Puffy.

"We are thrilled by the response to these singles and have high hopes for the full-lengths," Saddle Creek spokesperson Robb Nansel told NME. "This certainly shows great promise." Yeah-- for a world smeared in **** and horsegore. Am I right, people?

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-11/11.shtml#story4

---------------------------------

He beat out Puff Daddy! Even moreso!

HOLY ****

MAN LANDS ON THE ********* MOON!

2. OH MY GOD! Bright Eyes=teh win!

:bounces up and down:

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    OMGurlikeSOhOt!!!!jhjhsjkhhashBRIGHT*EYESmarryme please

;)

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Who's Bright Eyes? Should I care?

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Conor Oberst is a tool.

I don't like Bright Eyes.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Well, I think it's worth noting that this guy:

[​IMG]

and this guy

[​IMG]

Will be mentioned in the same sentence several times in the coming weeks.

This is turning out to be a very, very bizarre year.

7. So that's who that guy is.

A friend of mine's half girlfriend had a crazy boner for that guy, and I assumed whatever band he was in sucked, beacause he looks wicked emo (look out Toasted).

So, am I safe to assume these guys aren't that good?

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    XmoreXemoXthanXConnorX

So be told.

9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    To all those who hate Bright Eyes, try listening to Cursive. Now that is a great band. While I like Bright Eyes, I listen to Cursive three times as much. Oh yeah, and The Good Life is another great band, which is the singer from Cursive's other band.

I think that outside of Omaha and Lincoln, not many people in Nebraska really know about these great bands on the Saddle Creek label.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I don't like Cursive, either. But I do like Mineral. Thats worth some emo points.

11. I love Bright Eyes. When I saw him a live a while back was probably the most intense non-rock act I've ever seen. The guy just bleeds with sincerity.

Not sure if I'm ready for him to be so mainstream though :meh:

And his rock side project, The Desaparecidos, are awesome

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

Yeah, Cursive in definately not for everyone.

If you purchased The Good Life's new cd, there is a bonus disc of all the songs played acoustically, which I listen to more that the regular cd.

Did You Know: "The Good Life" is kind of like the slogan for the state of Nebraska. When you cross the borders into Neb. most of the signs say "Welcome to Nebraska, the good life."

I also listen to Desaparecidos more that Bright Eyes. They rock.