bright flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 9, 2005.

1. is there anyone that makes bright sounding flatwounds that are pretty good for slapping?...cos im a slap aholic and im playing like twice as much as i used to now and id like something like a flatwound just to go a little easier on my 5 string as well
  2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I say just stick with rounds if finger hurt is the only problem you have, you'll build up immunity soon.
  3. oh its not just becuase of that...i loves flatwounds.....i was stoked cos i finally got a normal strung bass i could get Dean Markley fretmasters...but they dont make em for a 5 string...which sucks.....flat over the fingerboard, round over the pickups,
  4. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I get a decent slaptone out of my Fender flats, it's not very metallic/roundish/modern sounding, but i like the old school sound :bassist:

or else, i got a decent slap tone out of my GHS Pressurewounds, there nicer to your fingers against rounds and they sound more modern.
  5. Oddly enough, GHS makes a set of strings CALLEd "Bright Flats". They are ground-wound, menaing they start off as roundwound strings, then they ground the tops of the windings down to mimic a flatwound for the most part. No finger squeak, more brightness than a flatwound, and admittedly, pretty decent slap tone. I have had them on my P, but mostly now just on my Epi Rivoli II.

Go get a set.
  6. im not impressed with rotosound...ive had 2-3 sets and they've all dies in a week...they were standard rounds but i just wasnt impressed, sure id use them if i had an edorsement deal and got 4 sets a month...

but yeah, ive loved dean markley's, but ive only had a 4 up until recently, and their ground wound sets, and the fretmasters are only available in 4's...ive never tried GHS
  7. :cool: D'Addario makes a string called a "half-round". It's basically the same as the GHS Bright Flats. I've used both. They both are available in 5-string sets. I prefer the sound of the D'Addario's. But, the GHSs weren't bad either. Just a little more info to muddy the waters.
  8. I'm not a slapper and I only use them on my fretless, but there's no question that the GHS Brite Flats would work well for slapping. I've never used the D'Addario's that Sammy Camden mentioned, but judging by the brightness of the D'Addario Chromes (flatwound) I use on my fretted basses I'd be willing to bet the "half rounds" would be fine also.
  9. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    I cant see all this whining about how bad Rooundwounds are for slap realy, ok, im not slapping much AT ALL, but still i dont hear any piercing horrible sounds that sounded utterly bad when i used rotosound flats on my Jazz Bass copy, in fact, for my use of slapping they sounded completely nice... i can agree though, that flatwounds are not made for tapping, but that again may have something with me having 50 - 110 sets...
  10. Try a set of Sadowsky Flats...(see my other post about them) and you will be amazed at how good they slap!!!

11. I resurrected this thread specifically to ask about recommendations for bright flats, on fretless.

I've been running EXL-220 rounds on my fretless, and the tone is great, but they are chewing up my board.
  12. endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    Try a set of Ken Smith Compressors.. they're very bright, but haven't chewed into my fretboard on my 4001FL.. Also, they seem to last for an eternity, and stay in tune quite well. They differ from the 'traditional'
    half-rounds in that the outer winding if compressed (hence the name), as opposed to being ground (a la D'Ad Half Rounds, et al), thus the feel isn't as 'sticky'. Well worth a try.. best of luck!
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I am using these on my fretless. The wear seems minimal at this point. I would use them anyway, though. They sound WAY better than any of the flatwounds or ground wounds that I have tried. I just don't care for the flatwound sound.
  14. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I tried a set of the half-rounds and they had as much zing as some rounds I've played (early flatwound convert here). They were just as floppy as a set of rounds, too.
  15. So are a half round bass strings pretty smooth like flats? I've only used them on my guitar, and they were as rough as files. I had to sand them a little to make them playable.
  16. :cool: No, they're not as smooth as flats. If you really want flat sound and feel, get some flats and don't mess around with the "almosts".
  17. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    TI Jazz Flats...
  18. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Let me try and explain some differences between the various flat type surfaced strings. Being that you do Gracie Jui Jitsu, I know you work hard at what you do so some explanation is deserving.

The first of the 3 types that are generally made are Flat wire wound strings called Flatwounds. These are the strings we all used before roundwounds came onto the scene. All windings over the core are done with flatwire traditionally. There may be companies using the Flat wire as the cover only but I don't know for sure. These strings have the most mass and weight.

Second, we have a Round wound string that is ground to look flat 'after' the entire string is made and before any silk color thread is wound on the ends. These strings are way softer sounding than round wounds but have less mass inside than Flat wounds being made with all round wire. A .105 string may have been a .112 or more before grinding so the tension of the ground string is generally tighter than the round wound of a similar gauge.

Third, we have the compressed cover wire string. This is where the wire itself is pressed oval just prior to being wound onto the string and not disturbing the other windings. This leaves the sound a bit more crisp but still smoother than a roundwound.

For us, we use the Nickle-Iron Alloy (Niron) for both #2 and #3 and we have named them Slick Rounds and Compressors. Each company has their own 'trade name' for their version of a similar processed string.
  19. thanks ken....those "slick rounds" sound cool..i may have to give them a shot....

just outta curiousity, how do you grind the string after its made? being a toolmaker/fitter machinist, im just curious how its done, i mean, i have a few ideas, but i highly doubt those:D