bright flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hamertek98, Mar 3, 2006.

1. hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Can anyone steer me to some "bright" sounding flats. I normally us rounds 45/65/80/105. I'd like to try flats without sacrificing too much high end. Are flats stiffer than rounds-would I need to tweak the neck or go with a little lighter gauge?

Or should I try groundwounds?

Thanks in advance!
  2. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I believe the ti jazz flats are supposed to be bright enough that people use them for slap. I haven't used them myself I prefer the beefy Labella deep talkin flats, but those don't have much as far as highs. The jazz flats are also supposed to have less tension than most flatwounds. look around and there should be some post about them.
  3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Since I couldn't find any Pyramids locally for my vintage Hofner when I replaced the machine heads, so on recommendation I replaced the flats with GHS brite flats. The tension is much higher than the originals, string surface is nowhere near as smooth, and they were way too bright for my tastes at first, but they've calmed down on the brightness, but it still cuts through. It was a cheap string fix for $20, but I'll replace them with either Pyramids or Thomastik Jazz flats at some point.
  4. hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004

I have never played the pyramids. How are the rounds?
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've used several makes/models of these hybrid-style strings, including GHS Brite Flats, D'Addario Half-Rounds and DR Nickel LoRiders, although in the case of the GHS & D'Addario, it's been a good 20 years...

The Brite Flats and the Half-Rounds are both groundwound strings, IIRC, while the Lo-Riders are a compression-wound string. Ken Smith also makes a good compression-wound string, Compressors, though I haven't tried those yet. And there are others...

In a nutshell, they all seem to live up to their billing, which is to offer a good compromise between flatwound warmth & smoothness, and roundwound punch & brilliance. I used to own an old P-bass, on which the Half-Rounds would really excel for playing old school, roots material like R&B, blues and reggae. For rock & pop, I'd put on a set of GHS boomers, switch fingerstyle for pick playing, and crank it on out!

6. hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    I should have said I'm using a jazz bass. I have 2 of them and I'd like to try some flats on one of them. Thanks!
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  8. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    Just put on DA Chromes 45-100 flats. Wow, they sound great!
    They do have good top end, low thump and balance compared to round/steele strings. I played it through my Peavey Classic 400 (all tube head), Aggie 4x12 cab, Aphex Acoustic Exciter, Fulltone BassDrive II, EH BassBalls and Hamer USA cruise bass (jazz copy).
    For pick players or if you want that pump with a pick sound (AC/DC/Jet) you need flats. I was was always disappointed when I went from finger style to pick in the middile of a set on the same bass (usualy adjust the bass settings). With flats they sound great finger or pick (but slap on the Chromes are just ok).

I have been using DR FatBeams 45-105 for 4 yrs now and have them on my other bass, they sound great too. The DRs
    are good for grind and slap and most other music.
    BUT these Chromes Flats have a SOLID bass sound that I've been searching for.

Flats are no joke, I've avoided them thinking thery were too "old school", but flats are the way to go for for that basic bread and butter classic sound!
  9. hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    It's a usa Hamer 2-tek bolt cruise I'm wanting to try them on. 45-100 chromes should be about the same tension as 45-105 rounds?
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

5 string set 45,65,80,100, 132

have pretty much the same tension as 5 string Will Lee Stainless Steel least they don't feel any tighter.

Great tone. Lows mids and highs (although a little muted).

11. GHS makes a string called "Bright Flats" or something like "Brite" (to be cute) I was close to trying them, but I returned them for some unknown reason. I think I recall opening them in the car and not having a 1 of the strings. They had a rougher feel than most flats, but they probably would have done what they intend to do.
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

What semi-flats are there that sound pretty bright, don't feel smooth like flats to the fingers (so I gues they'd be just flatter roundwounds or rounder flatwounds), but dont ruin a fretless fingerboard?
  13. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    D'addario Chromes or halfRounds(though half's are technically flats)
  14. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've used both Chromes and Brite Flats and I found the Chromes to be "brighter" sounding. Also easier to play....not as tight feeling.

15. hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    OT question. I've got a set of Daddario pro steels super long scale sitting here. Will they be too long for a jazz bass with 2-tek bridge? A friend of mine just opened a music store and ordered them for me. I told him long scale...but, oh well. I don't want to embarass him by taking them back.