Bright Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 18, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I play a fretless BTB405.

As a surprise to me, my wife had some Dean Markley flatwounds put on it when she brought it home from the guy who removed the frets for me.

I can not get a bright tone from them, which I figured kind of.

I was letting a bass teacher check my bass out, and he told me the strings I have are really "dull" sounding.

How about a few ideas on some flatwounds that will sound brighter. I was hoping for some suggestions from people who have used them.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Rotosound Monel Flats are probably the brightest sounding flats you're going to find.

I've got them on my fretless PBass, and I actually take some of the high end out with the tone knob.

My 8 track is finally set up, again, so I'll definitely post some sound clips tonight when I get home.

I'd also recommend trying out the TI Jazz Flats. They aren't the brightest, but they are some of the best sounding flats for fretless that you are going to find. A set currently lives on my '89 Curbow fretless, so I'll try and post some clips of that one, too.
  3. What about some halfrounds? They're said to be brighter than the average flat yet easy on the fingerboard and less noisy than rounds.
  4. bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I'll second the opinion on the TI Jazz Flats. They play very nice, have a softer core than most so the play very easy and produce a nice tone.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT flats are pretty bright. Not the pressurewound ones on the site, the true flats. You'll need to contact a dealer to get them.

I've been flirting with the idea of trying the TI's myself... I'll be watching for clips. I'm encoding a clip from a song I was writing last night. Bass is my fretless Hamer wearing 10 month old SIT flats.

1.5mb sample of 10 month old SIT flats on a fretless

this is a rough mix. I'm just working out the parts/arrangement.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ok...I got a couple ideas now. Thank you fellas for the suggestions.

speddling....thank you for making the sound clip available, sounds nice.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    UGH!! You removed them???

If they are 35" scale, and you got five of them, care to sell them to me?

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I really haven't tried many brands of flats, but I have tried the TI's and FWIW, I thought they were the best. I wasn't totally crazy about the feel though, but then again, I'm really not crazy about any flats in terms of feel.
    As far as Dean Markley goes, I think they flat out are just dull/bad strings. I have now tried three differrent types of DM's, and I have had the same problem each time. They sound nice and brite for about a day, and then they sound like crap after that. I vow to never use them again, and I was given these 5 sets to try out. Okay, now I feel better.
  9. I use TI Jazz Flats on my fretted BTB405. They have great tone (definitely not dull), lower string tension than other flats, and I for one love the feel of the TI's. Thomastic-Infeld lists their string set to be for a 34" scale, but they do work in the BTB405. The "B" looks like it might be a little short at first, but when tuned up, you'll find about 1/4" length to spare (whew!!).

Hey MJ5150, I've been considering converting my own BTB to fretless. Any after-thoughts to share or any advice to offer?
  10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The other option is the TI Jazz Rounds. The outer wrap is made of an extrememly thin wire which is very tightly wrapped - they almost feel like flats but are quite a bit brighter. I have no qualms about using them on my Pedulla fretless.

BTW, I have a brand new set of TI JR344 for sale (4 string jazz rounds). I am a dealer and usually only sell to my students. I bought a set for a student expecting him to want the best, but alas, he chooses to live in mediocrity