Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bright Lights coming out of cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashermatt, Mar 12, 2006.

1. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    today at practice i had trouble competeting with two guitarists (one playing a 1x12 and the other out of a 2x12)... i'm using a ampeg svt 350h and a ampeg bse410hlf... i needed some more volume and my limiter light was on while playing so i turned it off and when i played with the volume at about 5 and the gain at 10 i noticed a bright yellow light coming out of the cab... i'm guessing this is some sort of warning light for the cab?? i'm also wondering if it is a warning light why it would come on. The cab has a 400 watts rms and i'm sure i wasn't putting the full 350 watts of the head seeing at it was only at about 5oclock... any help would be appreciated.

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    usually a light bulb in your cab is there to limit the power and keep it at a safe level (probably for your tweeter). as it gets brighter it's resistance increases I believe... and would eventually blow if it got way too much... it is just a safeguard, probably nothing to be too concerned with if it blows.. replace it.. maybe roll your tweeter off a bit?

3. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    hmm i see... my tweeter is off... does the cab have not enough power, i'm thinking i might need to get another cab that can handle some more power?

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    it is just protection.. if you are seeing that come on all the time at the volumes you are playing at I would probably seek out another cab as you could use a bit more headroom.

5. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Don't forget about EQ. Are you running with a major scoop sound, cuz that will make it a lot harder to cut through at the same volume levels. If you are, don't hesitate to boost the mids to cut through. I've run through an ampeg 410 against 2 412s and a 7pc drumset before, and well I couldn't be heard great, but yeah...