Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bright/punchy strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jan 13, 2002.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't really need anything that gives me much bottom. I have trouble playing chords because sometimes the lower notes sustain longer, or become more expressive due to too much low end.
    I'll be putting them on my Music Man Sterling.
    I found that my DR Lo Riders were really punchy, just not bright enough for me.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    If you want a bright, punchy string with a clear (not boomy) low end try DR Hi-Beams. They are much more flexible than the Lo-Riders you have now so you may have to make some adjustments.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All the way with what rs says!

(And, no I don't use them because "bright" isn't what I need these days. But I have used them).

Otherwise, Rotosound Swing 66's.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    How're the Rotosounds?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Crawling - I haven't used them for a years because I found I got about identical tonal performance out of DR Hi Beams.

The difference was that the DR's held their "bright" edge considerably longer.

If Rotosound has changed their formula and improved their lifespan, I don't know. If cost were no object and I could restring almost every time I went out, I'd stay with the Rotosounds. When Entwistle used them, he restrung after every show.

But, it gets expensive for a no-name such as I. Plus, the Hi Beams have a certain "give" that really accomodates ear-piercing slap and pop.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Rickbass1, I was speaking more in terms of finger style, with the new strings. My current strings get slap/pop fine, and I doubt I should have a problem with that. I'm just looking for something a brighter than what I have now, for chords, and for finger-style. :)

I'll get the Hi-Beams, then. :)

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I think that DR Fatbeams sound the closest to Rotosound SwingBass 66 out of all the DR strings I've tried. Fatbeams are bright like Hi-Beams but have a much better defined lo/low mid that reminds me of a set of good Rotosounds. YMMV.

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    That's exactly how I feel about them - there's nothing better than having a fresh set of Rotosounds, but they die too quickly.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I'm a freak, I hate lows and low mids, so this is a good thing. :)

My EQ's even set like this "1.4K" is boosted to 7 (if you're going from 1 being the lowest, and 10 being the highest)
    Highs centered, with Lows cut to 4. Contour's all the way down, so I get enough mids. :)

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Oh, yeah... I'm going to get the Hi-beams right now. :)

I'll tell you what I think once I restring.

11. looks like i'm chiming in too late, but i agree that hi-beams are the way to go. a little TOO bright for me in fact. another thing you might want to know is that they're far more flexible than lo-riders.

12. Funny thing that... I remember nine months ago or so when you were saying just the opposite - you wanted as much low end as possible, and were looking for 18" loaded cabs.

Funny how things change, innit?

Try Dean Markley Blue Steels.

13. I have the Lo Riders and my friend has some Hi Beams. I like them both, but personally I would go for the Lo Riders, because of their increased tension. If you want something brighter, and more flexible, go for the Hi Beams, they sound great too.

14. bootsaco

bootsaco

Sep 8, 2001
    Portland, ME
    another option for bright and punchy might be the thomastic jazz roundwounds. they're a little pricey comparatively, but they sounded great right out of the box. very light gauge, and very bright, but silky at the same time. they even felt smoother than most other roundwounds i've found. i didn't like them so much when they got older, though. it might be worth checking out for you, though.
    andy

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I ended up getting the Rotosound Swing 66's, and I'm quite happy with them. :)