Bright Shiny Blue Dingwall Eye Candy!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BurningSkies, May 19, 2005.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    So, I've been dying for the past few weeks waiting for this to show up (I don't know how you custom build guys do it). There were a few bumps along the road, but it showed up at 3.12pm today. UPS delivered it to my front door, without signature. Luckily, I was 'tracking' it every 5 minutes with that in mind (even though the box was clearly marked "SIGNATURE REQUIRED". When at 3.12 it came up as delivered I called my roommate and he was nice enough to rush home to find it unattended on the doorstep in my not-so-good neighborhood. :(

Anyway, it was ok, and came from NW Canada to Florida then to upstate NY without any problem except for a bit of extra neck bow.

Here it is:

2. That is a beautiful bass... I hope you enjoy it.

I really dig 2 things about Dingwalls: first, the banjo/mandolin frets, I think more luthiers should list them as an option. And second, that they take a little to get used to visually, at first they look like there`s something wrong with them, but then it hits you: innovative design made beautiful... awsome color btw...
  3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    So, upon receiving this bass, I do have some observations...

First off, the specs as posted are not necessarily as arrived. No complaints, mind you, just surprises.

-Instead of a 1 piece maple neck as I've seen listed in a few places online, it's a 5 piece maple neck.

-The body isn't 'soft maple' instead, it's alder (fine by me).

-The pickups are hot...about as much signal as the 18v preamp in my one active bass.

-if you look at the back, the body is a 3 piece body, and the two 'wing' pieces are quite a bit darker than the middle piece. I don't know if this is a variation on the multiple density woods of other Dingwalls or completely random.

-No adjustment time needed for the frets...from my view above the instrument while wearing it, they look parallel. Only above the 12th fret have I had any difficulty.

-The finish is beautiful, and pictures don't really do it can't see that it's actually a burst and not just blue. It's got quite a bit of green in it too. The top is pretty flamed, but is not matched.

-The control cavity is very sparse and very neat. The shielding is very well done and clean.
  4. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That is cool!

I've loved every single Dingwall posted here. One of these days...
  5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I'm one of those people that thought it was beautiful the first time I saw the early press about it. In the past month or two, I've been looking at so many of them that straight frets look wrong! :)
  6. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Damn the more Dingwalls i see the more i want to own or infact even play one!! please tell me someone in Austin has one. Very nice bass by the way mmm dingwalllyy

7. On the neck side, Sheldon switched back to a 5 piece neck on these. The originals were 1 piece. I believe that he said something about it being easier to predict what the 5 piece neck would do during production. Something to that effect.

The bass looks great!
  8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

I love dingwalls. I really want to get my hands on one.
  9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yeah, I would think the 5 piece laminated neck would have more stability in the long run.

It really is a candy like bass :)

This is my first 5, and I'm having very little difficulty switching over...I might give it some stage time this weekend.
  10. WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    I just received an ABII with a bubinga top. Beautiful instrument.

Have you tried to adjust yours yet. I was thinking of giving the truss rod a tweak to see if I get the neck a little straighter.

The pickups seem to have the most output in position 3 both pickups in series. The other positions seem to have less output than the third position. The bluEQube also seems to tone down the output as well.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yeah, I've already adjusted the neck...there was a bit more bow than I like, so I tightened the truss rod a bit. It's lower now but without buzz...I do notice that around the 10th or so I get a bit of random buzz (even before adjustment), so I'm eventually gonna take it to get it professionally set up and have the frets dressed a bit.

I was kinda disappointed that there was very little in the way of guidance for doing any adjustment...the 4 page book that comes with the bass doesn't give any set-up info at all. I was just crossing my fingers that the truss rod was the same as all my other basses.

I think the super small frets have a few advantages...on the action, it may seem higher than it is, because those frets are so low to start with that your point of reference is off from most normal large-fret basses. Of course there's the precision of the smaller thinner frets too!

The series selection definitely has the most volume...and a much thicker tone, as you'd expect with both pickups in series. I very much like that with the bluEQube on and the tone rolled back for a big fat reggae sound. But so far I've liked all the tones I've heard. It'll be a while before I decide which are most useable for me in a band setting. There's a lot more variation with very simple controls than on my PRS.
  12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I decided it was time to get a little flash in my set up. :D

I can't wait to see it under stage lighting.
  13. great looking bass. Gotta luv the blue burst flame maple top.
    Yeah those spec you were told were the older Afterburners specs.
    My AbIs were both soft maple, w/ one piece necks, now i believe Sheldon uses maple, and alder interchangably, depending on whats a good wood at the time. Also as suggested the reason hes gone to a 5 piece neck is more consistant performance of the neck.
    These are great basses w/ excellent playability and tone. As you found out the FD-pickups have super hot output for passive, and the p'up selector knob is trick.
    What I like about these basses is you get 2/3 of the Dingwall goodness in a bass that cost lesss than 2/3 of the cost of one of his higher end models. But what I have also found is that these basses are like Dingwall crack. You get hooked on them, then you have to have one of his higher end basses... or two.

In regards to setup adjustments...can i suggest you email Sheldon. He is extremely responsive and really cares that everyone of his bass owners are comfortable and pleased w/ their purchase.
  14. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Glad it arrived ok and your happy with it BurningSkies. We have a Yahoo users group if your interested:

Also, w/ reguards to the output, one guy commented he thought some of the outrageous output on these basses comes from the switch rather than two volumes or a volume and blend impeding the output. While Sheldon's pickups ARE really hot, I bet that has at least a little to do with it.

And I also favor the series config most of the time, as it is the hottest, and most full sounding tone, I almost never use parallel, but I do use the single pup options with some tone control to dial in other sounds.

Us Dingwall users are die hard fans for a reason, and Im sure any of us would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Oh and I agree with the above poster, everyone should offer Banjo/Mando frets as an option. I talked my buddy Pete into using banjo frets on my custom Skjold for that reason. After playing tiny frets, regular or jumbos feel like speedbumps and really ruin the feel for me.

What do you think about the semieliptical neck and compound radiused FB? Also, had you played a bass with a Wenge board before? Do you like it compared to others you've tried?
  15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I figured it would only be a short wait before you and Juneau showed up. :)

I think I will email Mr. Dingwall for any info he can provide...I would like to have a current spec. sheet on hand just for reference, and any info on setup so I can hand it off when I have it looked at (it really doesn't need much of anything now, but I figure I should have it looked at eventually anyway).

This weekend will be the big test. I'll be at our practice room all day on saturday, with my Mesa 400+ and Schroeder1212/Avatar SB112 setup and I'll really get a chance to hear what it can do for tone. If that goes well, I might play it a bit at our gig on Saturday night.

I'm pretty happy with the fact that you can come close to nailing vintage Fender tone with a few of the switch locations, and get some more modern tones with others.
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

It's funny, the frets when you see them for the first time in person are REALLY small...but feel great. I really only flattened the neck a bit because that's what I always do. It felt fast right outta the box.

I am gonna check out the Yahoo group, I'm all for a dedicated community for this...

The neck isn't quite as eliptical as some of the others I've tried, and it feels really's no problem to stretch and reach at the lower end of the neck or across to that 5th string. The Wenge is really nice looking and feels smoother than I thought it would (all of my others are rosewood, so this is a new thing for me). I can't tell a tonal difference, but then I don't really have anything to compare it to.

I have my desktop at work set to that closeup of the body from the tail end, and it's driving me to distraction! :scowl:
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Glad you already have the Schroeder so I dont have to try and sell you on those too lol. My bass has never sounded as good as through a Schroeder cab....its actually my next in line purchase after the Skjold is done. I meant to mention that earlier when I saw the tag in your pics :)

Oh, and just FYI, I prefer my action about as low as I can get it, and these basses seem to prefer a very straight neck for that setup. With my action where it is, my neck has almost zero relief. If I raise it some, I can do with some relief, but I prefer a straighter neck and lower action. Just some thoughts if you decided to mess with it.

As for Sheldon, he is also on the yahoo group and is very good about answering emails. If you send him your serial number, he should be able to give you all the low down on it. (All puns intended) Couple of things that arent listed on the website, you most likely have FD-3 pickups (not FD-1's as his site says), string spacing is 18mm at the bridge (thats not posted anywhere on his site). And if you want to try different strings, DR's seem to be some of the few that make super long scale strings that will fit.