Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bright Size Life

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Nov 12, 2004.

1. I just wanna advice anyone who still haven't done it, to go out there and buy that masterpiece.
    Jacos playing on it is just incredible. And Metheny isn't bad either :)

So please, do yourself a favor, and buy it right away!
    :D

2. yea man, fully agree with u. Midwestern Nights Dream is beautiful.

3. I have got like at least 10 albums with jaco on it, but dang, the Bright Size Life album is a Tower Import, costing double of normal CDs... still haven't got hold of it myself yet... :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

4. Bummer- I actually got mine on the clearance rack at the local Borders. ;)

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    And they are just babies at the time of the recording as well. Scary. :eek:

6. Who are just babies? I haven't been born yet! :D

7. I just dug my copy of this out today and got a nice surprise - I had it signed by Pat when I last interviewed him - I had completely forgotten.

A truly great album - BUT - apparently it was nothing like how this band used to sound, they were much more rocky, more like a power trio - drummer Bob Moses says he can't listen to it becasue it's so watered down. Someone MUST have those original tapes - they MUST be released one day...

My favourite story from this period of Jaco's life is that on one of this band's first gigs, Jaco ran through the crowd - back-flipped on the stage - plugged in then started playing - Moses said it was then he thought Jaco was a complete musical mother****er...

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dont know if i buy bob moses' story. ive got a couple of bootlegs of that group and it pretty muched sounded like the stuff they played on the album. the take of all the things you are that was used on p.o.j. came from one of them.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Mike, I have a bootleg disc of this trio (two Boston gigs: one in 75, one in 76). Sound quality isn't great, but it's listenable(audience recording). PM me if you want a copy.

Dave

10. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm not a Jaco worshipper, I only own the essential listening stuff (solo albums, Weather Report albums).

When, I found this gem in a $3.99 delete bin, I bought it becuase of Pat and was pretty happy !!

I put on the disk without reading the jacket so I was very plesantly surprised that Jaco was on it!

This is one of my favorite records bar none. Amazing bass playing and Pat is not to shabby on guitar ! ;)

11. Glad to see I'm not the only one! (Although it would have surprised me if I was: )
    Anyway, I and some friends from school are going to do Omaha Celebration now. Really looking forward to it!

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just got my copy last month. Paid full price - well worth it! Beautiful work, great free jazz feel to it. Love Jaco, love Metheny, great great stuff!

In fact, I'm not sure Metheny ever topped this one!

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    one of the best albums of all time, an epic song as well.... When I pass on, BSL will be played at the funeral service... It's that good.

Bob Moses is a crazy cat, real excentric... very original. He used to play in a group with one of my best friends, Paul Ehrlich(in the Kevin So Group). His use of playing drums with tree twigs is really off the wall.... I used to catch his trio gig at Karma Club in Boston when they had jazz there... One of the weirdest people to talk to.

Have y'all heard Dave Fiuczynski's version of BSL on JazzPunk? I think that either Fima Ephron or Matt Garrison is playing bass on that track.