Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bright sound for my fretless P-bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by downstairs, Sep 13, 2001.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Hey,as you may know, i have a fretless p-bass, and i love it to death, but the tone i have is really dead, i'd like to know if there are strings i can buy that will sound really bright without tearing up the neck, because it is my first bass, and i love it to pieces. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. You might want to try some GHS Brite flats or those Rotosound Steve Harris flats. Never played either set but I've read that they are brighter than traditional flats and they won't tear up your fretboard as fast as rounds.

3. You might want to check out a set of Ground Wounds or Half Rounds. All the brightness of rounds, but smooth feeling as flats.

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I was thinking maybe elixers, but they got the cost i don't have the money for. Maybe I could find a p-bass copy neck and slap it on, i'll use straight steel strings on that, fun fun fun, oh well, thanks, i'll try those strings, be like "mommy! i need strings for my old bass, they cost alot, but i don't want to ruin my bass!"

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you could coat it in polyurethane and then find the brightest strings you can find and slap 'em on. They you could sell it to me for $20.

6. I was thinking elixirs too...

7. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    How much would it be to do that? I know, because i just got my 5-string my mom wont want me to spend too much of her money, but i guess in the long run it'd be really good.

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Second on the Elixirs. They're not stainless bright, they are just a hair less than nickel bright. They ARE nickel roundwounds, and the coating does take off a shred of the metallic clang. But i haven't played anything else on fretless since the middle of '99 and I love 'em. Very little fingerboard wear.

9. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I should also mention that if you are looking for Jaco/Egan/Caron-style growl, it is VERY difficult to get out of a Precision. You really have to add a bridge PU to get it -- the P is just too far from the bridge to get that 900 Hz boost. Maybe an outboard active EQ would do it, but IME P's just don't growl like J's. I did build a fretless with TWO P pickups (like a Fender Precision Elite II)that did a good job in the growl department...

10. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm not really looking for that Jaco sound, maybe Pearl Jam. I just want to get a sound where is sounds like a normal bass, but i can do the fretless slides.

11. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Not real familiar with Pearl Jam's bass tone. Do you play with a pick or fingers? If you're looking for the brilliant high sustaining metallic bite, that may be difficult to get from a fretless.

Help us out here: Please describe the sound you're trying to get.

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
  13. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    well, half wounds i have heard of, but what type of half-wounds, what company makes them and stuff.....

14. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But that's why people buy fretless P basses - for that tone!

16. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i didn't buy it, it was given to me, i'd like a brighter sound......fun fun fun.......

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I got flats on mine. Before that, i had 6+ month old nickel wounds. But mine is a fretted, i wish it was fretless.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Awe, man, i just read what model p you have. Where do you live? My house was broken into yesterday, and i need to keep the karma circle going around.

19. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    no way, i love my bass (which is about 2 times older than i am). There is no way i'm letting anyone steal it, if someones comes in my house, they wont leave.......hehehe.........