Bright vintage P pickup suggestions needed, thank you

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by markdavid, Nov 28, 2021.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Ok so I swapped out the pickup in a Mia P bass for an SPB-3 and ended up accidentally cooking the original pickup with the soldering iron sad.png and sadly the SPB-3 is not doing it for me, it seems to have less highs than the original pickup and I am missing the brilliant treble of the original pickup.

Anyway I am after a P bass pickup with a vintage-ish voice and plenty of brightness, I love the brightness of new strings and so change my strings once a month and after something that will bring out that brightness.

Boutique pickups like Fralins are out of the picture as I cannot afford to spend a fortune on pickups so looking at Duncan/Dimarzio prices. The pickups I am considering so far are Fender original p bass pickup, Wilkinson wpb pickup, Warman p bass pickup and Kent Armstrong hot p pickup.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  2. Emg Gzr, vintage and nicely growly.

cataract and Corrington like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Dimarzio Area P has airy bright tone , great match with .1UF cap.
    Sadly.... no longer in product.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Wilde P46. Boutique quality at a Duncan/DiMarzio price.

Use 500kOhm pots.

Corrington likes this.
  5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Anything with Alnico V slugs and about 11 kohm's worth of wire.

6. Take outs from the Dirnt Bass.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    how so?

did you put the soldering iron directly on the wire leads where they went into the actual pickup bobbins? even then it might still be fixable

anyway, as a fellow fan of bright, aggressive fender bass pickups the answer would have been to keep the vintage-style original pickup and replace the pots, ditching the darker-sounding 250ks for the brighter sounding combo of a 500k linear volume and a 500k audio tone

the 500k pots leave more high end in the signal, and if you want to go back to the original 250k sound just nudge the tone pot back to like "7"

(might as well try the brighter pots on the SPB-3 too)