Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brightening up new Jazz Fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jonwb, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Hi,

I noticed immediately that its tone was a bit dry compared to my EMG upgraded P-Bass. I like the stainless steel flat strings that Fender chose to put on these, but getting a brighter tone is another story.

Right now I'm only using the bridge pickup. Since the strings are probably as bright as I'm going to get without damaging the rosewood fretboard, is there a passive pickup set that could enhance its tone dramatically over the stock Fenders? It's close, but not quite there yet. :meh:

Thanks!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I put Fralin 63's in my Fretless Jazz, and they really woke it up.

3. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I'll also try a strings change. TI Jazz Flats won't damage your fingerboard and will "open" your sound.

4. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Hey thanks... I did a search on these and came up empty. Are "63's" a model from Fralin?

Yeah, I've read good things here about TI's. Are the Jazz Flats also stainless? Thanks...

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Back quite a while ago, when I picked up the Fralins, I called Lindy and explained what I was looking for, and he said that 'I'd think a set of 63's would work fine'. I believe the ones I have are modeled on these mid-60's Jazz pickups. I believe that this is probably his 'standard set' these days, so you could just get his standard Jazz pickups. If you get a chance to talk with him or the shop, he'll over or underwind for you to help match the sound you want.

6. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Sounds good... thanks!