Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brighter flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Which flats are the brightest, have the longest lasting tone, and feel exactly like D'Addario chromes? I love the feel of chromes, but if I am going to use flats, they are going to have to be bright. As bright and long lasting as D'Addario. I love their tone.

2. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've never used Chromes, but TI Jazz Flats have more high-end than most flats, as opposed to other flats, which often go only for "thud".

Me, I like "thud" though. Flats are mostly about the "thud", although some strings are more "thuddy". Flats are intended to emphasize the "fundamental" (not harmonics), and have limited sustain to sound more like an acoustic bass. Definately "old school" (like me).

Regarding sustain, now that I think of it, after installing flats on my 6-string, I have a lot less trouble with string damping...

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive heard that the Rotosound Steve Harris sig flats are very bright for flats.