1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brighter Rounds for Fender Pure Vintage 63 Pbass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Evanforbass, May 14, 2020.

1. Evanforbass

Evanforbass Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    hello people. I just put a PV63 on my Pbass that I designate for roundwounds/rockier uses. It's great! Had a social-distanced band practice last night, with pretty low volume on the amp, loved the strong lows and mids coming but at times could feel the subdued highs of this pickup. Using D'addario Nickelwound 50-105 that are a few months broken in--so that could be part of the issue.

Anyway, I'm wondering what you might recommend for a roundwound to counter some of the pickup's natural high-end roll-off? Stainless Steel? I don't really want a string thats ZING-city, but that's somewhat inevitable with a fresh round. I used to use Elixir a lot.. any thoughts on their stainless steel w/ nanoweb 50-105?

thanks TB

2. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    DR Pure Blues should suit the bill. That's what I use on my Moollon P when I need rounds. Nice hybrid between Nickel and SS.

Iofflight, radbass, Ryno1330 and 3 others like this.
  3. Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    thanks, I'll check em! How's the lifespan on those?

4. There is a Fender Jazz bass that belongs to my church that's been wearing a set of Pure Blues that's 14 mths old. I don't play it myself but every time I hear it played in church, it still sounds pretty good. In fact, I actually like their well-broken-in tone better than new. They should sound good on a P as well.

Evanforbass and uwrossl like this.
  5. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I've only had them for 2-3 months. In that time they've probably on had a month or so total playing time on them as I use them intermittently on my basses when I need rounds. Like Michael said they sound even better broken in. Played them solid the first few weeks I had them and they settled in really nicely to the sound of a warm nickel string with a little more going on on top. When I first put them on I really liked them as well but there was a little of the "which camp are these going to settle into" They definitely settle more on the Nickel side of the tonality but haven't yet lost any of the top end I liked from them. After the first couple weeks I switched them over to my J in place of the Dunlop Super Brights that were on it and they sounded great there as well.

tindrum and Evanforbass like this.
  6. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    When I use rounds on P bass, these days I usually opt for Fender 7150s.

Evanforbass likes this.
  7. The OP wants something brighter than the D'A XL Nickel rounds. Fender 7150, being pure nickel, are even mellower and warmer than the XL Nickels.

8. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Well, they worked for me, but the bass I put them on has a SPB-3 Quarter Pounder in it, so maybe that's why. There's always the old Rotosound 66s. I used to use those, and they're plenty bright.

bobba66 likes this.
  9. I do agree pure nickel rounds do work well on P basses; in fact, I'll be going back to the GHS Balanced Nickels for my P.

The only point I was trying to make is your comment about Fender 7150 wasn't helpful for the OP, who wasn't asking "what's your favorite string for your P?". ;)

tindrum and Evanforbass like this.
  10. Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    i appreciate all your responses. I could very well be overthinking my pickup and the issue could be resolved with a fresh nickel roundwound.

*That said, the Pure Blue could be the ticket--just a little extra brightness on a nickel

tindrum likes this.
  11. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I know that, but actually at the time I was myself looking for a string which was brighter than the flats I was using before, but not as bright as the Rotos I had been using before that. I also had the SPB-3 pickup and an Ampeg AV212 cab with the attenuated tweeter or whatever it is. You're trying to be helpful to the OP, I know. It's all good here.

michael_t likes this.
  12. As far as basic NPS rounds go, I prefer the GHS Bassics over D'A XL Nickels.

XL Nickels start out with a fair amount of zing (for nickel rounds) and mellows down over time to the point of being dull. The Bassics are not as zingy when new as the XL Nickels, but they do retain their clean crispness for a long time.

GHS Bassics Nickel Plated Steel Bass String Sets from Fret Nation

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, the DRs are good for bright but not squeal. I also like Slinky sometimes. There's nothing wrong with Dads. I don't know the consensus answer but I always have a a few sets on hand so when things die I can replace them when needed.

Evanforbass likes this.
  14. Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    ah ya that sounds good, though id prefer 45-105 or 50-105 set.. Bassics are 44-106 which is just odd, but probably fine

15. The Bassics are actually better-balanced in tension and overall playing feel than the D'A.

Evanforbass likes this.
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Base on your statement, the PV63 naturally has less high end , string change could help a little once fresh from pack.
    I recommend SD Steve Harris SPB4 which has more grind and stronger bite.

Hopehelp

17. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    It’s tough to put a wrong set of strings with these pickups. I’d suggest rotosound steels though. I think you will like them a lot. I have the same pickups and personally just use fender flats, but I had rotos on them in the past.

Evanforbass likes this.
  18. GHS Pressurwounds. Not exactly "rounds" but they play great (minimal string/finger noise) and have a nice, "clear" tone without the zing. They last relatively long also.

19. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I really like the pure blues on my P bass also. The top end is really nice without zing city as you mentioned.

tindrum, uwrossl and Evanforbass like this.
  20. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Dunlop Super Bright nickels. They start out quite bright, but age very gracefully.

tindrum, Evanforbass and MoeTown1986 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021