1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brighter tone for Jack Casady bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by guitarsark, Sep 19, 2008.

1. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007
    I am currently using d'addario flats but i am looking for something brighter. I play somewhat melodically, and the flats just dont cut thru. even with the bass rolled all the way back on my amp. i do love the feel of them tho. I know Jack uses the Blue Steels and i love his tone but i have not read good things about them on this forum. any suggestions? also what's the diff between Ti , chrome and steel as far as tone goes.

2. You may want to try TI flats instead of the D'Addarios. They're much more like rounds insofar as their responsiveness. They're not bright like rounds, but they may give you more of what you want without having to switch to rounds.

3. If I were you I'd try A good set of nickel rounds, Ti's are very good strings but they are still flats and they sound like that, they don't have that sparkle or crispness the rounds have.

I would suggest DR Sunbeams, they are my current favorite.

4. I really want to try some DR Sunbeams on my Ric 4003. :bassist:

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Rounds sound great on the Casady. I strung up my guitarist's one with DR SS Lo Riders and they sound great. I bet any decent nickel or steel round will sound good; Casady sure enough gets a great tone with the DMs on the clips he recorded with the bass.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My Casady with Chromes absolutely does it for me, but I realize that it's not everybody's ideal tone... If it wasn't wearing chromes, it'd be wearing Blue Steels... I don't recall hearing anything bad about them. When I used them on this bass before, they were great. D'addario nickels are nice also...

-robert

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hey, I love my blue steels.

TO ME they feel the best out of any string I have played, and they sound the best too. They have a very focused piano like tone, not vintage at all. They seem to keep their bright tone longer than any other string I have played.

8. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007
    thanks for the feeback.

9. guitarsark

guitarsark

Nov 30, 2007
    GHS Boomers 45-105 on the bass now. sounds great.

10. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    For brite without the bite (feel) of rounds try GHS Pressure wounds that Is what I had on My Casady and It sounded great.

11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    The TI flats are my choice for the JC. They are definitely much more full-sounding and less thumpy than most other flats. Plus, I really like the relatively low tension, especially on the JC where they just feel right for the bass.

12. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I miss my JC gold wonder:crying: The TI JF-344's worked best on that bass!

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I had a JC bass.
    Flats were to boomy.
    Try Ken Smith Compressors, brighter than flats.
    But still had good thump.

14. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I used the Blue Steels on my JC for a long time after acquiring it; I figured hey, if that's what Jack uses, it's worth at least a try. I agree that with these the bass had a clean, piano-like tone that's "not vintage at all." Beautiful sound, but I felt like this particular bass really ought to have a more "vintage" vibe. I wanted to try flats, but read numerous posts from people who found the JC to be too "boomy" with them. (Also, I didn't want the high tension that many flats have.) Then I found a good deal on a set of slightly-used (i.e., already broken-in - yay!) TI flats here at TB and gave them a try. For me they are perfect for this bass and really brought out the character I thought it should have. It still has a beautiful round tone, but with balls.