1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brightest MM pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Apr 24, 2006.

1. If all falls through with my friend and I buy the P bass thats listed in my sig from him. I want to put a MM pup in the bridge position.

The currect pickup is a SD Vintage P. I would like for this bass to be brighter, as well now it sounds... like a P. I like to slap and yes the P bass has a good dlap sound, it's not for me and I would like a bit more of a treble punch in this bass. Any and all suggestions are thanked. :)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

in terms of the bass itself you might try alterying the cap values before doing anything else. Caps are cheap and easy to replace. Smaller the cap value the brighter the tone. It's not going to be like bridge pup but it may get you what you want without the expense and hassle. Might you try wiring the P in parallel as well.

Ceramics are typically the brighter of the aftermarket MM's. You'll have to set the MM further back than stock though so it's already going to be brighter than normal. You might even give some thought to a foriegn MM. I had a Korean pup out of a Kingston once (15$ shipped) and it wasn't bad and a buddy of mine rewired one parallel/series/single and it's one of his favorite pups.

3. Well, I kinda want to put a second pup in there as an MM-P is on my GAS list.

I was looking at the Bartolini Tri Coil one. I would keep the bass passive and wire it Volume-Blend-Tone with switching between the coils in the MM.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

For brightness you'd be better with Delano or Basslines.

5. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    In my opinion EMG's add a lot of bright tone all over. And from what I have heard, they make one hell of a MM replacement pickup. Again this is what I have heard but I have a passive emg hz and it sounds awesome. They are a lot alike only you can split the MM coils.