1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brightest Nickel-wound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jesse Dietschi, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Got a really dark bass (4-string Warwick Corvette fretless) that I'd like to brighten up, but I've become so used to nickel-wound strings that steel feels like velcro to me. I'm currently using DR Lo Rider Nickels, and they're great, but I wonder if there's something brighter out there. Are there nickel strings out there that have a steel-like exceptionally bright tone? Tension isn't a big concern either way.

2. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I've not tried all of them but I like Kalium's because they last a really long time. Formerly I used DR's; high beams, DDT's, etc. I like how steel feels but after 2-3 mos. of regular play they die pretty quick. Kaliums last and last and last; their death is much slower and almost unnoticeable. And I too like bright, zingy strings. To clarify, I'm referring to their hybrid strings, not their stainless ones. I have the SS on my custom but when they get changed I'm going back to the hybrids.

Raz

Jesse Dietschi likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Have you tried DR Pure Blues? Not pure nickel, but a softer feel to the fingers than stainless, and still with plenty of zing.

4. If you like the overall feel of the Nickel Lo-Riders but want something brighter, try the Stainless Steel Lo-Riders, which are not quite as smooth-feeling as the Nickel LR's but still a lot smoother than most SS strings.

FaithNoMan and Jesse Dietschi like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Daddarios, in my experience.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Kalium
    SIT RockBrights

Either is brighter than D'Addario, and waaaaaaaaay brighter than LoRiders or PureBlues.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you're worried about the roughness of steels, DR hibeams or steel loriders might be worth trying. They're no where near as harsh as any other steels.

8. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    You might like GHS Progressives, wrapped with a nickel/iron alloy.

Jesse Dietschi likes this.
  9. I’ve been using D’Addario nickels for a while simply because their singles are available in a very wide range of gauges so I can make the exact balance set that I want. They are good strings and they sound good but I have not tried many of the other so I can’t compare their brightness. I have not heard of Kalium before. I see that they offer many choices in their balanced sets and I would like to try them. Can you only get Kalium strings directly from them? I don’t see them on BassStringsOnline.com.

10. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Another +1 to Kalium Hybrid.