1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brightest Nickels Available

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I have haulted my search for the best string after I recived my first set of Hi Beams. I am in tonal paradise with these sterings, they sound orgasmic in every way.

However, they are chewing my fingers up something nasty :(

I realise there is no Nickel Hi Beams, however if there were DR would be the single best string ever. But in your opinion what is the brightest Nickel string you have came accross that I could try instead of steels ?

Thanks
    Stingray

2. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Try the DR "Sunbeams".

3. Had those on before the Hi Beams, 2 problems:

1. Died after around 10 days of playing every second day
    2. The brightness dulled very fast maybe after around 3 days of playing.

4. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    you get used to it. it wont take your fingers long to develop callouses that are strong enough to dull even the newest rounds.

5. Oh yes, Ive had rocks on the fingers for years. Im looking for strings that dont dull fast. I feel like I cant slide on the hi beams. So a nickel string that sounds like the hi beams.

6. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    The reason I mentioned the Sunbeams is because they are the Nickel version on Hi-Beams. I never had a problem with Sunbeams dying me. I used to get about 6 months out of set playing every day.

7. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    Fender 7250's. Nickel plated stainless steel with nice silk wrap on the ends. Smooth to the fingers and the tone lasts a long time.

8. Maybe the coatings on the DR Extra Life will be kinder to your fingers.

9. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

+1...brightest nickel I've played. You really need to give 'em a try.

It's been a while, but the SIT Rock Bright Nickels were nice, price is good to.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Have you not tried D'Addario XLs? I've heard they're pretty bright... :meh:

MM

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    +1 on the SIT Rock Brights. Great strings very bright and cheap...... last long time:smug:

12. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    rotosound pure nickels are obnoxiously bright, rolled down tone knob had no effect, and i had to take them of. Brightest strings i've tried and yes i didn't like them, but i'm more of a flatwound/halfround kind of guy!

13. I was very interested in the Sadowsky Strings but I dont know if they are available in the UK yet ?

14. +1 - SIT will also make "custom gauge" sets at customer request through your local dealer at the same cost as a standard set.

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    DR Nickel Lo-Riders are almost as bright as the SS Lo-Riders. They have more tension to them than Hi Beams, but they are still easier on the fingers than any SS string. They have a little more low end to them than Hi Beams, but you might give em a shot. I love them personally.

16. +1 to Nickel Low-Riders, great string but definitely higher tension than Sunbeams.
    Problems I have had with Sunbeams in the past have been due to improper string cutting technique. Any string built on a round core (like high beams and sunbeams) needs to ALWAYS be crimped before cutting to prevent the core from unraveling (one cause of short life and dull tone).

17. You can order them from their website or even some ebay sellers are selling them.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i was a long time sunbeam user, but man they died quick in my hands. like 4,5 gigs quick. nevermind i live maybe 30 min from the DR distribution warehouse is!

the sadowskies last longer for me and yes, they are much brighter. as per the blue/black differences, i find the blacks seem very smooth in the mids, but i've been digging the more midrangey sound of the newer blues, which are more in line w/ the midrangey sunbeams.

another to consider is the labella slappers. they're brighter than the sunbeams, have a similar midrange content, and have lasted a bit longer than the sunbeams in my hands.

if i had to rank the strings in terms of brightness: the sadowsky blacks are the brightest, the blues are juuuust a wee bit underneath them, the labellas trail 3rd, and the sunbeams 4th.