Brightest nickels?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by embellisher, May 26, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am thinking that nickels may help with the twangy G string on one of my basses, but I want brightness too.

So, what nickels have the brightest, most stainless steel liked tone?
  2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, the brigthest nickels i've tried, was Rotosound nickels ;).
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey Jeff! here's my swing...i went to one of the local guitar stores to grab a set of sr2000's for my new mtd 535 and they had none...which sucked. or so i thought at the time...they had some s.i.t. power cores, which are all taper wound strings with a hex core (with the exception of the G string-no taper on that one)...there is a cosmetic wrap around the core which goes over the bridge...these strings are the proverbial poop...they're really bright and aggressive sounding...haven't checked them out in a band situation, but i can't imagine these strings doing anything other than cutting through at a high rate of speed...i've only had them for a couple of weeks, but they're still holding up...if you're into taper wound strings, give these a shot...i think they will be replacing my sr2000's...
  4. D'addario XL's always seemed pretty bright to me.
    You could alternatively consider switching to a thicker gauge. That'll provide a more fullbodied tone compensating for the twangy sound (by which I take it you mean too thin, overly growly and lively sound (i.e. too much of a good thing ;)))
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    DR Sun-Beams work well for me. They're nice and bright when new and they mellow out and warm up a little after some play. Great strings.
  6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    +1 on the D'addario XL's. I'm a ss guy, but I like the XL's.
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

I tried DR nickels (Don't remember what they're called but with the round core) and they seemed to be pretty nice. I went back to D'A XLs because the DRs were kind of polite compared to the XLs but nice nonetheless. I finally quit using the XLs on my J in favor of EB Hybrid Slinkys (nickel) because the EBs seem to have more defintion while retaining some aggression. Gosh, I hope I'm making sense, here. I have a hard time with tone terminolgy, but where I'm going with this is that you might try the EBs. At least they're cheap. Heck; the DRs are nice too but just not for me. Either might be your thing.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sadowsky Bright Nickels.
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY