1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brightest Roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Oct 23, 2010.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    What do you think are the brightest roundwounds-and I mean ones that keep the brightness, not "sound super bright for a day and then sound 'warm' for the rest of their life".

For reference my strings of choice are Elixir nanowebs, and Stainless Steel Rotosounds come in second.

I use a 95 75 60 40 set on my four banger tuned to DGCF.

2. i like elixirs but i wouldnt call em the brightest. id say dr hi beam stainless steels or dean markley blue steels would be a point. Rotosounds do tend to lose the brightness fairly quickly. i hear good things about dunlop strings.

3. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    You'd want to check out a set where the core touches the saddle. Rototsound and Dean Markley makes them AFAIK.

4. I had a set of Warwick Red Labels on an old five-string J for a while and I kept waiting for them to warm up, and finally gave up and put the nickels back on.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Dean markley blue steels. Brightest roundwounds made I do believe. They do also still have crack of thunder lows to them. Their broken in sound is more like other stainless steels brand new treble wise.

6. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Fodera or MTD (aka Dean Markley).

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    DR stainless strings. I use lo riders and find they are pretty bright and last a long time. I've heard lots of good things about hi beams as well.

8. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    those DM Blue Steels are the brightest I ever used. they are blinding bright. after a few weeks they break in nicely and mellow out

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The Dean Markleys or La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels are the brightest in my experience.

10. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Elixirs definitelly last the longest, hands down. OTOH, I don't like their sound much.

11. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Rotosound SS seemed the brightest IME, and lasted more than a few days. Different folks chemistry cause string life to vary, and luckily mine isn't as bad as others, so YMMV.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    After a few weeks, DR hi-beams will be by far the brightest and best sounding IME. The coated strings do ok too, but never sound quite right, and if you use a pick you kill them.

Brightest first day strings are Dean Markley Blue Steels, D'Addario Pro Steels, and Sadowsky Black Stainless ... but after a few weeks they turn thuddier and the hi-beams keep singing. For months.

Rotos are a lot like hi-beams, actually, but don't last as long and are rougher texture.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    D'Addario Pro Steels are the brightest I've tried.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    DR High Beams are horriffically bright. They'll squeak and clank like nothing else. Also, Rotosound stainless steel strings are bright, too. And they'll destroy your frets as a bonus.

If you want "brightness" why not play guitar instead of bass?:bag:

15. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    ^Cause I find the notes sound a lot better on a longer instrument.
    I do own a guitar and I think the bass sounds better.

I've been this way since the beginning, I never got on with rounder tones that obscured the notes attack. I'm a pick guy too.

16. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    Roto PSD (piano string design) by far the brightest I have ever tried.

show-stoppers likes this.