Brightest Sound string that would last long?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Hi, all.
    I've been trying all kind of different kind of strings, and still can't find the string I am looking for. The thing is that I prefer the bright string, but my hand sweat a lot, so the string die fast. I tried soaking my string with alcohol and all that, and it's just too time-comsuming, and it doesn't last all that long. So can anybody give me some idea what strings has the brightest sound that would last long?

THanks in advance.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guess would be some type of Stainless Steel string. My DR Lo Riders have been on for about a month and a half now and they are stil bright-ish.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK then. It depends somewhat on how bright you want them. I currently have Black Diamond strings (nickel roundwounds with a black coating of some sort), that are plenty bright, and are supposed to last a long time (and they should for the price). I've only had them on for two weeks, though, so I don't know yet. Also, Elixirs are pretty bright and will last quite a while.
  4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    try light guage elixirs, there bright and last forever
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Zon Ultrasonics SS are nice and bright and last a good long time.
  6. Howdy,

Like you, I've got sweaty mitts. I used to be a die-hard D'Addario nickel fan, but after having to replace my strings every six weeks or so, figured out that I'd better switch to stainless steel (resisited to the bitter end).

I'm happy now with the brightness of the SS strings (nice cut live) and the longevity of the strings. I've recently switched back to Rotosound 66s from DR Lo-Riders (SS), hoping that previous issues with string life have been resolved in England. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend either of these manufacturer's strings to you.

As for the alcohol thing, when strings get a little dull, I pull them off and boil them with some vinegar. If the windings haven't slipped - and you'll know by having a difficult time intonating your bass after re-installment or have a dead string - then the strings will last for almost as long as the original installation. I never boil strings a second time.

Hope this helps.

7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Black Diamonds lasted 3 days for me. Slinkies have lasted longer. After spending $40 on black diamons, I don't care for spending $60 on elixirs.

Haven't tried a SS string yet though.
  8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i reccommend dr hi beams. medium-lite guage.
  9. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005

I also recommend the Hi-Beams. They sound fantastic and last longer than any coated string I have tried. Also, GHS makes a product called "fast fret" that makes your strings bright again. It costs about $5.00 USD and lasts a really long time. Good luck with the search......
  10. The DRs that I've tried all went dead in a week. If you want really bright strings, check out the Sunbeams, but those die pretty fast too. The only bright strings I like are Elixirs, because they last and last. I had mine on for 6 months and they were worth every penny.
  11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    the Hi-Beams don't have as much midrange as the SS Lo-Riders, so keep that in mind if you want mids. Elixirs (gortex-coated nickle plated steel) keep their tone for a very very long time...if you like that tone. If you have acidic sweat, you can go the coated string route, or use SS and change them more frequently. If the coated strings don't do it for you, then you might want to just buy cheaper strings and change them more frequently. You can get five sets of 4-string Sadowsky nickel or SS for just over $90 and thats a super bargain. They are made by E Cocco for Roger. I bought 5 sets of the nickel strings a few weeks ago and am very very happy with the tone. They are very evenly balanced, bright and have good lows, mids and highs.