1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brightest sounding Warwick bass out there

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoloJazz, Jun 3, 2014.

1. SoloJazz

SoloJazz

Apr 20, 2014
    Focsani
    I'm thinking of buying a Warwick bass. I want a quality instrument , but I ain't going towards custom shop , at least not now because I don't have the money or the time.
    I major in soloing , jazz , funk and fusion. I want a veery bright sounding warwick bass , on which I can play classical music . jazz solos , funk slapping but with a versatile EQ that can give me the bottom end that genres such as R&B , Motown or Funk require.
    So what's the brightest sounding warwick model?

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Thumb, probably. It has pickups closest to the bridge. It's also got the most idiosyncratic sound of all the Warwicks though and you might not like it. The Streamer and Corvette are more conservative models and both are excellent.

3. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I had a corvette, and it had bright for days, as well as a real solid bottom. You could pop a string on that baby and it was like a needle in the eye!

4. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  5. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Older Stage I with maple body and maple neck or Katana. Both pretty bright sounding without sounding harsh or overly trebly. Thumb 5 and Dolphin can also be bright with the pickups so close to the bridge.

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I'm no expert and I've only played a few Warwicks, but to my ears their P/J models naturally have a bigger emphasis on upper mids and treble and a bit less of that dark growl. I think you can accomplish the sound you want on any Warwick model though using pre-amp or amp EQ.

You can get a good idea of how many of their models sound through their Youtube demos.

8. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I had a Warwick Streamer Stage I (maple body wings) and it was pretty bright (brighter than my Thumb BO or NT). But I would never get a Warwick to play R&B with (I could never get enough bottom out of any of the Warwicks I've played).

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Look for one with a maple body and maple fingerboard.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  10. +1
    Maple all the way.

I love my Ric but if I didn't have/couldn't afford a new one, I'd be looking for something with a thin(resonant) body made out of rock maple, and hopefully neck-through.

11. t-ray

t-ray Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Alabama USA
    Had a '90's maple Streamer Pro and had to run the treble all the way off. MEC pups very bright IMO combined with a maple body. Too bright for some.

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Bleached Blonde Thumb for sure. The all maple construction with J pickups at the bridge is a recipe for treble.

13. Inter-Bass

Inter-Bass Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    Memphis TN
    Stay away from humbucker pickups and $$ models, they lack top freq, and it sounds that is what you like. The brightest cleanest Warwick I have played is my Warwick katana, jj pickups and 3 band eq, made out of maple, ash and ebony(brighter woods) that should do the trick. There is one for sale here on TB

14. Inter-Bass

Inter-Bass Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    Memphis TN
    Also make sure you have a brass nut, it adds just that bit more brightness

FaithNoMan likes this.