Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brightest Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aaron, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What are the brightest stings? I don't know what i'm going to put on my fretless, after my fender strings on it die out. I also prefere high tension over low tension.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    D'addario Prisms. Definitely. After that, Rotosound is a good bet...but Prisms are a lot brighter!

However, to keep the brightness, you'll have to replace both every couple weeks. Booo! The longest lasting steel strings that I've tried where some DR Lo-riders. The Hi-Beams lasted a while, too. All are worth checking out (well, except Rotosound, because I assume you've used them before).

Just be careful to use a lightlightlight touch with these strings (particularly the Rotosounds and D'addarios), because they are VERY rough, and will scratch the fretboards very quickly if you dont play with a light touch.

I personally prefer nickel for fretless, though.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    COUPLE WEEKS!!! Crap, i can't afford that. That is like $60 a month for just strings for one bass. I used a nickel-wound rotosound set on my p-bass for 6-months, then i used flats. Now i'm debating between strings or a fake book. Maybe i'll just use my p-bass for a while. Awwww, smmooooottthhh. How long do those lo-riders last? a month? How long do the hi-beams?

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, if you want BRIGHT, you'll have to keep mostly new strings. Bright strings tend to die the quickest.

My DRs kept semi-bright for about a month, but take into account that I kill strings pretty quickly.

If you want bright, however, you should really go with the D'addarios. At least try them.

5. elixir's man gotta go for the elixir's if you want long lasting brightness. they may not be the brightest but they last forever practically.

6. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I just put dean markley Blue Steels on my Fender Jazz and I cant get enough of em. They sound sweet and very bright.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeh, I like 'em, too. But bright for very long, they ain't!

8. Prisms are definitely the brightest strings I've ever used. I thought they stayed decently bright for a long time too.

Also the roughest strings I've ever used. I wouldn't let them get anywhere near a bare wood fretless board.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    would they be fine on a epoxy and/or/hopefully polyurethane coated fretless?

10. Ace Cruz

Ace Cruz

Oct 2, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Trace Eliott's are the brightest strings I have ever used or heard. The down side is they are extreamly hard to find and if you play alot you'll have to change them every 2-3 weeks because they go dead real fast. However, they do sound real good to the ear.

11. Why do you want the brightest strings? You'll probably end up rolling the highs back on them, and as previously stated, Prisms, which are the brightest, will eat a fretless board.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Well, i guess i want something brighter than what i have (fender strings). I figure if they are too bright i could roll off the highs, but I can't do the opposite if they are not bright enough.

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´ve been using Blue steels for 4 years....... the brightness doesn´t last forever, of course, but it last more than other strings I´d tried, like Ernie balls ....

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you ask me, I'd say to buy a set of either Ken Smith or DR steels. Smoother than your average steel set...though they'll still chew up the board.

Nickel all the way, baby! :D

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Would they be brighter than fenders?

16. flipperwhite

flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    usa
    look \/ down there

17. Haven't tried the D'addario Prisms, but the Blue Steels are the brightest I have tried.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ernie Ball slinkies are VERY bright and cheap. I stopped using them when I stopped playing steel strings, but they are very bright and a four-string set is only about $16-17 U.S. dollars.

19. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I bought a set of Ernie Ball regular slinky's or something (the 4-string set that is bright pink) and i don't really remember when i bought them, maybe 4 or 5 months ago, they were very bright, then i got my 5-string and stopped playing the 4 string, and i didn't play it for about a week, i picked it up, the strings weren't as bright, i'm gonna play it later, slap the gunk outta them, because i broke the a string on my 5.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    This is such a subjective topic that it's almost impossible to define "brightness" because everybody has a different opinion. And strings go dead at a different rate for every player depending on their body chemistry (i.e. sweat, skin oil), playing style, etc. I've found Blue Steels, Prisms and SIT Rock Brites to be particularly bright. YMMV.