Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brilliant Ideas In Bass Design!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayCee, Nov 18, 2005.

1. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Since we have a large thread devoted to design flaws in basses, I think that it's appropriate that a thread be dedicated to outstanding design.

I'll start with Leo Fender, with the Precision & Jazz Bass designs generally, since they're still being copied everywhere.

Alembic for the development of active electonics.

Modulus for thinking to use graphite for necks.

(By the way, I love the idea of magnets used to hold on the Dingwall control cavity covers!) :bassist:

Andy

2. Fanned frets!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    didnt Ken Smith do a ton of crap?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Man that magnet idea sounds amazing. Never have to worry about switching batteries! I should totally mod my compartment.

I think a great idea is the hipshot d-tuner.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Headless designs, well designed/implemented active electronics and the use of carbon fibre.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    rather minor: i don't remember who did this, but it was someone on TB that put the input jack on the back of the bass with a strat style jack pointing up so it can't get pulled out. I thought that was great.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Just curious, can't magnets in one way or another have influence on the electronics of your bass?

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Ernie Ball?

9. Who cares about taking a few screws out anyway, you should know roughly how long your bass will play before needing changed, and if ever unsure just change the battery before a show or do the tounge test :p

Brilliany Ideas in bass design? The mid range control knob on BTB's :D :D

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    ken smith did this and still does:
    Inlaid Straploks

Printed Circuit Board Electronics

Graphite Inlaid Neck

Detented Balance Control

Detented EQ Controls

Wide Neck 6 String Bass

Low 'B' Design .128 & .130

Wide Neck 5 String Bass

Taper Core Bass Strings

Compact Quick Release Bridge

Replacement Bass/Treble Circuit

to the
    present:
    All wood selection & final set-up for every Bass is still done by the founder of the company, Ken Smith.

that deserves some respect!
    d

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    passive/active switch

12. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Actually the first graphite necks were on Alembics. I saw Stanley Clarke play an Alembic with a graphite neck, with red LEDs back in 1977.

Modulus Guitars

Back in the mid-70s, Geoff Gould was an avid bassist as well as an aerospace engineer. While working at Ford Aerospace, Geoff was part of the team that constructed the carbon fiber dish antenna for the Voyager I space probe. As he learned more about carbon fiber, it occurred to him that it might just be the material to solve the common problems he had experienced with every bass he’d ever owned- Dead spots, warping and lack of sustain.

At the same time that Geoff was figuring out what it would take to use carbon fiber to build a bass neck, Rick Turner was moving forward with the company he co-founded, Alembic. Long recognized as the founders of the modern school of bass design, Alembic had grown from turning out ultra-modified semi-hollow basses for the top players of the time to crafting stunning handmade, exotic wood instruments of original design. Geoff had the idea. Rick had the know-how and ability to make the necks. In January of 1977, Gould and Turner presented the first limited production instruments at the National Association of Music Merchants convention. In 1978, an application was filed for a patent for carbon fiber musical instrument necks ( U.S. Patent # 4,145,948).

Geoff opened up his own shop making Modulus Graphite instruments in the heart of San Francisco. The city was also the home to Stars Guitars, Tobias Guitars, Furman Sound, Alembic and others. Rick went on to establish Turner Guitars, which thrives today in Santa Cruz, CA, producing beautiful handmade instruments.

You know.. I had that idea to use magnets for the control cover like 10 years ago! I never got around to trying it out. Glad someone figured it out! :D

George Beauchamp, who patented the first electric guitar, and went on to form Electro String, which later became Rickenbacker.

Les Paul for his contribution to solid bodied electric instruments (not to mention the first 8-track recorder).

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's awesome...

14. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Also:

Leo Fender's MM Stingray design.

Straplocks.

The Zero Fret.

Two-way trussrods.

Poly finishes.

15. I'll +1 on straplocks, however, still think they need to be perfected

16. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Rickenbacker: Neck-thru

Jackson: Pointy headstocks

Charvel: High-end parts basses/guitars

Ampeg: electrified upright

Rotosound: do-it-yourself fret-grinding service

:D

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Kubicki: extended fret headstock w/clamp
    Kubicki: excellent, innovative bridge/tuner
    BassLab: monocoque bodies

18. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    cable input locks, great idea and keep the cable from coming out.

double cutaways
    single cutaways
    flat wound strings
    the MM pickup
    shortscale basses
    extended range basses
    seeled tuners
    ultra lite tuners
    the J neck
    3 band EQ's
    seymour duncan pickuos
    bartolini pickups

yah, and pretty much the electric bass itself, I must say it is the best instrument out there...

Greg

19. Brad Johnson has a bass where you can swap out the preamp without opening the bass or cutting or soldering. Just pop it out the back, pop a different sounding one in. It's amazing.

Also, quick release bridges are great. Wish I had one!

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Kevin Brubacker(of Brubacker basses & guitars)for his interchangeble on board preamp system.