1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Brimstone Audio Basilisk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass.slinger, Sep 10, 2017.

1. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Anyone tried one of these out on bass? How does it compare to the XD-2 Crossover Distortion (which I own)? Brimstone says the Basilisk has more saturation and compression in the boost mode than the XD-2 which was designed to be very neutral. The XD-2 is great for getting a very distorted high end while keeping the bass strong.

BASILISK

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow that's a lot of knobs! :whistle:

My hat's off to you if you have time to twiddle all that. :thumbsup:

3. bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Actually, much easier pedal to setup than you would think - I just wanted dirt with my bass tone so I set mine to be neutral - the bass side gain is set to 5 (out of 10) with the thump set to 0 (no sub enhancement) and the filter set to 10 (no mid cut). The treble side gain is dimed with a slight boost in mids and highs (the pedal seems to slightly attenuate mids and highs on the treble side when engaged so set both to around 6). The crossover is set to between 3-5 depending on how much bass distortion I want and the mix is adjusted until the volume is equal between the two sides. This gives a subtle amount of dirt in my tone when playing softly and some decent dirt when digging in. I then set the boost gains to around 7 and adjusted the internal trim pot (which is accessible through the battery door) to match volume with the unboosted volume. This gives a killer amount of dirt while still sounding like a bass. These settings are for a passive jazz bass. My only complaint with the pedal is that the boost LED can be seen from orbit it is so bright.

2658925_orig.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Great Hobo likes this.
  4. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I own the Basilisk, as well as the XD-2 and XD-1. It's very straightforward how the Basilisk differs from the XD-2. I spoke about it in this thread:

Club Brimstone

It works excellently on bass if you like an aggressive distortion/overdrive.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Missed that in the search before starting this thread. Thanks.

Do you still prefer the Dug amp over the Brimstone?

6. Hello, I know you posted this ages ago, but I couldn't resist giving you a couple of tips about the "visible from low orbit" led, as I encountered the same problem with quite a few "boutique" pedals.

BTW, is there a secret competition between these guys on who's going to source the brightest leds available on the market, lol?
    If it goes on like this we won't need any stage lights anymore, the pedals' leds will suffice :roflmao:

So, I've chosen different ways to tackle this problem depending on the pedal and the situation, for various reasons.

1. The simplest: borrow some black nail polish (or the same color as the led, but black works better) from your GF or your emo buddy, and put a dab on the top of the led. Check the result and eventually give it another coat if needed.
    Pros: it's the simplest method, and you can easily reverse the "mod" with a cotton ball and a little nail polish remover, THE ACETONE-FREE KIND PLEASE, acetone could damage the led and/or the pedal's paint job.
    Cons: you might have to repeat the process after a couple of years, unfortunately nail polish isn't eternal either.

2. If you're handy with a soldering iron, just swap the effin' led for a dimmer one,
    or put a second 300 ohm resistor in series with the original one to dim it by around half (there's already one 300-500ish ohm resistor in series with that led, as the Basilisk has a buck converter in the power suppy circuit to up the voltage to 18v)
    Pros: you'll have the satisfaction to really have modded your pedal yourself.
    Cons: possibly bye-bye warranty, and possibly even bye-bye pedal, poopie happens, you know...

So yeah, the nail polish method is mos def the way to go, if you don't plan to mod your pedal anyway to change its tonal characteristics.

Cheers, keep on squaring the wave.

7. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    @andrew
    Still have the Basilisk?
    What are your thoughts now, a year later?

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    And I’d be curious how the Basilisk compare to the Darkglass X7.

9. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I do still have the basilisk but have not used it much in the past year. I bought it to try to replace the XD2 plus another drive that I run together but it did not have quite the same quality of distortion as the pair. It's a good sounding pedal but I have not found a home for it in any of my current bands.

I've never compared the two Matt but I will now that you've mentioned the idea. From memory I'd say the Basilisk is closer to the X7 than the dUg pedal though.

Matt Dean likes this.
  10. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    What was it about the XD2 plus the other pedal that you liked?
    What was it about the Basilisk that wasn't meeting the same quality of distortion?
    What is the distortion on the Basilisk like (make a comparison to another pedal if possible)?

I have a line on a cheap Basilisk, and there just aren't any good demos.

11. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Do you own an XD1 or XD2? The Basilisk is a pretty literal next step in gain from those pedals. If you like the XD2 but wish it could get dirtier that's exactly the Basilisk. If you have a transparent clean boost you could try running it with the XD2 to give you some idea of the Basilisk's sound alone.

I rarely run single pedals by themselves so my user experience isn't wholly helpful to anyone looking for a one pedal solution. Before the dUg pedal/amp or Darkglass X7 existed I was (and still am) running the XD2 into a Tech 21 GT2 (GT2 set to a clean-ish tone). That's been the basis of my sound for years and thinking about it was my attempt to achieve a Tech 21 style bright/tight/clank dUg tone before it was offered.
    I still use this combo in more bands than any other. My habit is to take those two and then stick something in front of that pair if I want to get dirtier. I prefer doing this to increasing the gain on either the XD or GT.

I wanted a Basilisk pedal regardless because I'm a big fan of Brimstone Audio, but my hope was I could replace a Source Audio OFD. Ultimately it wasn't the tone that stopped the Basilisk replacing the OFD (though that was part of it), it was that the OFD gave me more options I could not get from the Basilisk alone (gate and yet another distinct dirt tone being the main two). So not a real fair comparison given the OFD is digital and can do a ton of different sound sculpting options.

Given how rare they are (I've never seen a used Basilisk for sale before), I'd say give it a shot.

12. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    ...add too that while the new pedals doing crossover distortion (dUg and Darkglass X) are both GREAT, the Brimstones are a different voiced pedal and still really great in their own right.
    I get that the size is a turn off to some people but they still offer a tone that is distinctly their own and shouldn't be overlooked because a couple new crossover pedals have hit the market.

13. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I do not own either XD.
    I'm looking for a good, two-stage dirt box for my post-rock side project.
    Currently I use a MBD-1 for mild-med gain then hit it with my trusty Joyo Ultimate Drive for high gain.
    I love the MBD and how it keeps low-end intact and un-effected.
    But there's something about it that's always a little off when I listen back to our recordings.
    It's got a strange low-end bump I can't dial out.
    That's why all the knobs on the XD and Basilisk seem perfect to me.
    But the videos I've seen for the XD make it seem as though there isn't much gain to be had from it.

14. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I am totally over Darkglass.
    I've sold every one I ever purchased except a B7K.
    Which I use as a "barely there" pre-amp.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    after owning an XD-1 (and diggin' it), i just ordered a Basilisk.

16. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I would love to hear a comparison review.

17. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    I believe the Brimstone is the pedal for people who are turned off by the Darkglass and Tech 21 bright, modern sound. For the guys who are fans of brands like Fuzzrocious and Damnation, I suspect Brimstone would be the crossover pedal to try.

@Matt Dean I tried the Basilisk compared to the X7 today. As you'd expect, they have some similar sounds built in and you can dial them in to sound quite similar, but as I just mentioned, the big difference is the signature Darkglass tone baked in to the X7 vs. a more neutral base tone in the Basilisk, less shiny and modern sounding. It also confirmed my earlier guess too that the X7 and Basilisk are more similar than either are to the dUg pedal.

Matt Dean likes this.
  18. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Bummer, to late. I missed it.
    The good deal was scooped up by someone else.
    Sad face.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Matt Dean likes this.
  19. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Well, I am a huge Damnationa and Dunwich fan. And while I’ve never really bonded with past Darkglass drive pedals, I do like the X7, in large part because it does sound different than the pedals that have found a long term home on my board.

But, I will eventually try a Basilisk.

SunnBass likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021