1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brimstone Audio - OUROBOROS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Szyszaczek, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    Driven Crane likes this.
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Do you mean the range? Because it clearly is variable, with a knob for it.

3. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    yes the range.

It could also be used as low pass/high pass filter I think ;)

4. That looks really nifty, if it had top jax it would be near perfect for me.

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I'll stick with my SFX X&M for the smaller size, but that does look pretty sick. Curious about the parallel/series switch.

6. From the Brimstone page...

"A 3-way mode switch allows access to series (two fx loops one after the other) or parallel (two fx loops blended together) configurations."

7. Good timing! I just decided to look for an audio crossover pedal and was likely going to go with the SFX X&M, but I like the footswitches to mute the separate channels, and that parallel/series switch is interesting!

8. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Jun 27, 2009
    Amadora, Portugal
    SourceAudio Endorser
    I think all these pedals (including the multi band distortions) have the same problem. They are very nice if you have only one channel after the pedal but if you want to connect one side to one channel and the other to another (for me it would be lows to Microbass II channel A and highs to Channel B) then they do not work. Unless this one can be used with only the Sends connected but not the returns.

9. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I don't get it, there are send level A & B so what's the purpose of mix knob?

10. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    Well, Xfreq and A singal B signal would be enough.

But maybe this mix and master has something to do with this extra parralle/series/reverse feature.

11. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Jun 27, 2009
    Amadora, Portugal
    SourceAudio Endorser
    From what I understand Xover sets a frequency split, one band goes to send A, another to Send B. The mix blends the input from return A with Return B so you do not really need to care to much about the volumes coming back from each loop since you can then just the relation between them.

XFreq would only make sense in the Xover setting, however Mix would be useful in both series and parallel since it would set the loop A volume going into the B loop if series or the blend while in parallel.

Master is just an output volume

12. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    In series, a mix knob to control vol between effects doesn't make any sense. Or perhaps, mix controls the balance between dry & effected sum.

13. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Jun 27, 2009
    Amadora, Portugal
    SourceAudio Endorser
    Not the mix between effects but an output volume from loop A before going into loop B

14. David Beers

David Beers

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Hey guys! Dave from Brimstone Audio here. I'm glad there's some interest in our new pedal, perhaps I can clear a few things up.

Firstly, the pedals are finally done. We've begun shipping to vendors and emailing people who contacted us about wanting one. Our webpage has photos and signal flow diagrams along with a working product description. www.brimstoneaudio.com

As for the send levels and the mix knob, the send levels are primarily to compensate for loss of overall volume due to splitting your signal in half. In particular, when you split the bass off from the higher frequencies, the high band output to the pedals in the loop will not push effects like distortion, compression, and filter-based effects as hard as a full-range single. The idea is to use the send levels to hit the pedals with just the right signal, not to use them to balance your sound. Changing the send level volume changes the sound of the pedals in that loop, so once you find the optimal send level setting, you'd want to leave it. The mix knob then allows for mixing the final output of each loop together. Another nice thing about a mix knob instead of two volume controls for each loop is that when you adjust the balance between low and high band loops, the overall volume stays the same, so you can just concern yourself with the ratio between the two when adjusting that knob. If you had to mix with two output levels, you'd be changing the master volume constantly while you were mixing the ratio of high band to low band. This is also true for out crossover distortion pedal - we tried both setups, and found the mix knob to be far more intuitive. The mix knob is also a great way to adjust your tone to the room - a little to the left or right can give a more or less boomy / motte or less bright sound quickly and easily.

In Parallel mode and series mode, the X-Freq knob is disabled, as it has no use. In series mode, the Mix knob is also disabled, as are the send levels. The idea with series mode is this: if you have pedal plugged into the high band loop, but then for one song you need the full-range, 100% wet sound of that pedal, you can flip to series mode instead of having to unplug the pedal from the Ouroboros. To this end, the send levels (which will usually be set for the X-Freq mode) are disabled so that series mode functions to instantly deliver the normal sound of your guitar straight into the pedals which are plugged into the Ouroboros.

Additionally, there are internal dip switches to allow for use with line level rack effects. Each loop has one, so you can plug rack effects into one loop and pedals into the other and blend them together. You obviously can't mix line level and instrument level effects in the same loop, but you can control each loop's input level independently.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. :)

31HZ, stephenleejp and andrew like this.
  15. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I was wondering when this would release, very cool. Thanks for the rundown too

16. David Beers

David Beers

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    Yes, you can use this to simply split your signal out to two amps, one for bass and one for treble. You could also stick an ABY box in the high band to split off your highs to a guitar amp and send full range through your bass amp.

17. David Beers

David Beers

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    You bet. Always happy to talk pedals, and this is a fun one because it changes the way every other pedal sounds, opening up all kinds of possibilities for people who like to layer sound and combine effects. :)

18. David Beers

David Beers

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    Here's the finished product:
    7443380_orig.
    4025809_orig.

19. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Sorry if this has been covered, which channel does the phase switch affect?

20. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    That's what I wanted to know. Thank you.

I'll be getting one at the first opportunity. I'm going to try some pure biamp experimentation!