1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Under Development Bring back the Mobile App

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by yousaiditman, Apr 25, 2015.

1. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Endorsing Artist: (DNA) David Nordschow Amplification
    I know you guys had one and delete it, but using this site on my iphone does not compare with using it via an app.

Any plans on bringing it back? Would be nice IMO.

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    An app is being developed. I cannot provide a timetable yet, but it's looking good.

3. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Endorsing Artist: (DNA) David Nordschow Amplification
    Awesome.

4. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL / ERNIE BALL
    talkbass, its 2015. everyone does biz on smartphones. everyone has an app. your app was great! i can't be alone.... I've been on here (.com) maybe 3 times since the app disappeared. please... ok I'm done now. thank you for your time

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My smart phone's browser views talkbass better than the app ever did.

hdracer and OEW3 like this.
  6. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I don't know which phone you have, but I highly doubt I would agree. On my Samsung Galaxy, the mobile experience is HORRIBLE compared to e.g. Tapatalk or other contemporary alternatives. Same goes for my wife's iPhone. Bring back the app! :(

7. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    So, how's it going? The mobile web experience on TB is TERRIBLE. So bad, in fact, that I have all but stopped visiting the site on my phone.

totallyfrozen likes this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I guess it's a matter of preference. On my iPhone it's 90% as good as my iPad which is 90% as good as a computer. I've seen it on an android browser and it was just as good as my phone. Different strokes for different folks.

OEW3 likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm in the browser camp as well. It took some getting used to after the app went away, but once I did I liked the browser version a lot better. And that was on an S4. Now I have an S6 and it works on the phone pretty much every bit as well as the computer. I use Chrome on my phone if that helps.

Even if an app came back I would probably still do browser.

Edit to add: I was one of the big whiners when the app went away too. But it turns out (for me anyway) the powers that be know what they are doing.

10. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    The app development project I and other forum admins were pinning our hopes to has stalled. Which is really too bad, it was nearly ready I think. It may not be lost completely, but I wouldn't suggest holding your breath. I'll continue to explore other avenues - I'm not just forgetting about an app, don't worry - having an app is in the best interest of the site.

In the meantime, there are new things planned to make our mobile responsive web design more mobile-friendly (and more like an app).

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I agree. The Safari view on my iPhone works great, at least for me.

Bob Clayton likes this.
  12. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    you must have baby fingers

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Nope. Big chubby digits. Much bigger and fatter men than me have no trouble clicking little things on smart phone screens.

14. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I think it's a little of each. Neither is perfect on my mobile, but about equally, just okay. I'd say that the browser on my mobile is probably adequate. I'd like something better but unless it's much better I don't think it's worth the development and subsequent maintenance costs. I certainly wouldn't advocate spending a lot on the mobile platform. I think I'd prefer more energy expended on curating the info that's already posted on TB. More Wiki articles.

paul likes this.
  15. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    haha ok-

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Agreed, I have no issues with the mobile website.

17. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Bump for any available app updates?

18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Browsing on my Samsung Note 4 using Chrome is a snap, though it would be great to have a dedicated app! :)

19. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Not much. I'm curious: what about an app do you miss? Button on home screen? Speed? I'm curious because I could easily have an app that's simply a web "wrapper" that displays the mobile site...

20. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The app was simpler and had more intuitive navigation. There are lots of extras in the mobile site that just make it harder to use.