Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bring Out the Branston?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Feb 4, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My wife used to live in the UK, and had a craving for British cuisine one day. She brought home a bunch of stuff like Weetabix, a frozen shepherd's pie, etc.. for me to try out. Among her bounty was this black stuff in a jar called Branstons Pickle. The shepherd's pie was ok, the Weetabix was mushy but edible, Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding rocked, but the Branston's...... I couldn't get past the smell.

Well time passes by, and out of curiosity I try out the Branston's and it was one of the nastiest things I ever tasted.

I'm sure some of the Korean cuisine I love may gross others out. Different strokes for different folks, and we all have our own tastes but this black pickle stuff......

My wife likes it, and tells me that it's real popular in Britain. Is it really? What's the deal?

Maybe I'm just an ignorant American...or maybe my taste buds are protecting me from further gastrointestinal damage.
    Maybe I'm just having a slow Friday at work.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I eat Branston pickle all the time in sandwiches - with cheese or cold meat - but it's never black - more a rich dark brown - maybe yours has gone off!! :meh:

If you ever have a "ploughman's lunch" at a pub in Britain - Branston pickle is an essential ingredient - it is indeed very popular and I love it! :)

3. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    Being from London i see you bought our "traditional" foods which is always good to see, although branston pickle - fab stuff. I pretty much whack it with any meal with potatoes and meat. Lush. Although it has a....defined taste, from a personal view you grow to enjoy it over time, a small amount tastes better than a large splashing of it. However, yes try it with sandwiches, meals, etc.

British cuisines - fab. In particular our Sunday roasts, one to try!

Take care.

4. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Every time I have a cheese sandwich theres Branston Pickle on it (or Marmite occasionally).

What I love is to toast one side of bread, turn it over, put a little butter and Branston on then add cheese to top and let it grill again and all melt in together...mmmmm

Maybe you tried to much Branston?

Steve

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    it's nice but too lumpy to spread effectively.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    There is a lump-reduced version available designed for spreadablity. It may even come in a squeezy bottle, but I'm not sure.

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That's because you haven't tried Picalilli

I like it.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
  9. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    With cheese in a sandwich it's awesome.

I heard that there's only one factory that makes it and that it burned down a few months back :confused:

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Aye, but have ye tried HAGGIS? ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just read this thread again and I had to go and make myself a roll with cheese and Branston pickle...and it was so good, I made another one after that!! :)

12. Branston rules! I'm glad to see you liked the Roast Beef and YORKSHIRE pudding. yummy to the tummy.

13. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    ...quote of the week methinks....

:ninja:

14. Stolen off one of those Furby toy thingies.

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It wasn't me :bag:

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, you know that joke that heaven is when the chefs are French, the mechanics are German and the policemen are English... and hell is when the policemen are Germans, the mechanics French and the English cook
    :bag:

:smug:

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I thought this thread was about Branston, Missouri...??? :eek:

:bag:

18. :D

19. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    ...Actually, thinking about it, Branson Missouri is also :

Off color
    Apparently liked by many people, but it's an acquired taste
    Above people who like it are notorious for having bad taste in the regard
    Leaves a horrible aftertaste in the mouth

Coincidence? I think not! ;)

20. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    If you really want to try a British foodstuff that polarises opinion, give Marmite a go, spread thinly on toast....

I love it. Lots of people hate it. Track some down and give it a go... :D

Russ :bassist: