Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bring the crowd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rick Rice, Dec 17, 2000.

1. Playing in a blues, rock band in rural Michigan a reoccuring theme seems to be all the small club owners expect you to personally bring the bulk of the crowd. While we work hard at establishing a following things like inclimate weather, playing 30 or 40 miles from your hometown,clubs who've yet to establish themselves as a hot spot etc, often leave us playing to half empty rooms. Its really disheartening to us lately . I'd just love to concentrate on the performance rather than how many people are gonna be there. Is this something relative to rural areas or is it true in larger metro markets too?

2. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Is the club half-empty of half-full? That's my first question.

Second, are the club owners getting on your case about it, or is this just a disappointment within your band? If it's the latter, you may want to reexamine your priorities. Unless, of course, you're getting paid by how many people you draw...

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    OK brother Rick Rice, let me give you a friendly reality check. There will be many, many times you will play to a room that is half empty. But consider those good nights, because there will be many, many times you will play to a completely empty room and take home not a damn dime. My old band played Rock On The River this summer, which featured RATT, Tesla, The Bullet Boys, etc. We played to hundreds of people and they all were getting into our music. When we were done, we signed autographs, took phots with people in the crowd, etc. The next week, we put up hunderds of fliers in town with a photo of us from the concert on it. About 10 people showed up to the gig we were advertising. Half of them left before it was all over. So, Rick, don't think you are going to be a rock star over night. It takes years to build a firm following. Do not get discourages. You will play to empty rooms many times in your career.

4. half is half to me , No the club owners are'nt really getting in our cases about , I guess they just may be expressing some of their dissapointment with the turn out in our direction. I know some other local bands that tell us they deal with the same thing. Our money is not dependent on the door. You may have touched on something there with the priorities thing . My band is bunch of guys in their 40's doing cover and playing mostly for the sheer joy of making music. The money has never been a high prioriaty with us, we usually only play out once or twice a month. This issue is just something that is kinda taking the fun out of gigging in local bars if you know what I mean. Anyway thanks for the response furtim , I appreciate it