1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bringing a Fender JP 90 back to life!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBud, Nov 26, 2010.

1. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Hey guys, gonna bring a Fender JP90 back to life...torn down at the moment. I've never done any luthier type work but think it will be fun trying. Help me out...1. I'll need new pots, believe these are 500s but not marked. Where and from who can I get the best replacements possible? Cap too. 2.Next, I've listened to several discussions on bridges and am still confused. Seems the extra mass and contact with body is a good thing. So I'm looking at a Badass but not sure which series to reach for. Also it is confusing that alot of bridges are brass, which is somewhat of a deadening metal. Why would anyone put on a tone deadening bridge on their bass? 3. The JP 90 is American made, but I have heard several owners of this particular bass speak of pickup replacement to improve the sound. Why would any pickup other than the American made originals be considered superior? I've also read with interest the discussion on if a J bass can be made to sound like a P bass. Wouldn't the JP 90 have been the perfect answer to both sounds in one bass? Lots of questions, and if you help me with any one or all I will be grateful .......again, I will be new at this fix-er-upper, but though a first project, I want it to be done right and with the finest of parts.....thanks for any help......Bud

2. I thought about buying one a while back, and some people told me that it's only assembled in America.

3. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Yea it's American made and only lasted afew years in the 90s I believe.....Bud

4. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Bassplayer8953, I'm already checking out that site. Question.....would genuine Fender pots be as good as could be had, or does someone make/sell higher quality pots? Or does it really matter? Bud

5. Fender MIA stuff lasts for decades, or at least it has in years past, so it's hard to go wrong there. For individual parts, Switchcraft jacks & switches, CTS pots are very high quality also.

6. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    valuable info.....thanks, Bud