1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bringing a vocalist to a jam session

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jazlikethat, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Jazlikethat

Jazlikethat

Feb 25, 2008
    Hey ya'll, I've been reading this forum for a while but just decided to join, thanks for all your help with my past questions.

Anywho, a restaurant by my house has a jam session every Thursday, which I regularly attend. This week though I'm bringing my friend who sings. She's a great singer and knows a bunch of jazz but I want to make sure she knows one or two songs form the Real Book so that I can be sure the house band will know them. I usually don't listen to vocal jazz so I know nothing in this area.

So can any of you give me some suggestions on what I could recommend to this girl. She's got a full great voice, and a little on the lower end for a girl (I don't know if she's soprano, alto or tenor).

Thanks

P.S. if any of you live in Orange County, CA, you should come to the jam sesh. It's at Versachee's in Kaleidoscope in Mission Viejo, 5:30-9 pm every Thursday.

2. youtube Holly Cole Trio, especially I Can See Clearly Now...very easy music parts (no book needed).

or some Joni Mitchell jazzy stuff.

Why not try some jazz versions of pop songs?

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You can probably assume that the band will know tunes like "Stormy Weather" and "Summertime", but they might want to shoot themselves in the face because they're sick of playing it.

4. Jazlikethat

Jazlikethat

Feb 25, 2008
    Good suggestions, thanks for the help.