Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bringing an expensive bass out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jan 21, 2006.

1. What is the most expensive bass you bring to gigs? Would you bring a 14 or 1500 dollar bass to a regular gig?

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    yah, I'd bring whatever bass would suit what I had to play, so If I have to bring a $6000 ritter, I will. I don't mind bringing expensive basses and equipment to gigs, as long as I move them and everything, they'll be fine.

Greg

3. dvon1981

dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    hell yes, I have a '72 Rickenbacker 4001 that I play all the time.

What's the point of having it if you don't play it?

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I never think twice about bringing basses to gigs. That is why I have them--to use em.

5. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah, unless it's a very special gig (outdoors or where I know I'll have to compromise the safety of the instrument), I'll bring the bass that suits the job best.

I've got a couple of backup basses for use in situations like the ones mentioned above.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It took me time to get over this. I used to bring *disposable* basses to gigs. I recently started bringing my one pro bass to gigs - worth about $1200. I'm sorry I waited so long.

I can't deny that my bass is at risk. At the kind of gigs I play, a knocked over stand or flying beer are all Real possibilities. :)

7. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The good ones are built to take the abuse of the road... IMO.

I couldn't imagine a cheapo bass lasting through what I put my good bass through. :)

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I watch my $285 "clearance specials" like a hawk - I very much doubt that would lessen should I spend 10x on my dream bass.

9. The most expensive bass that I gig with is about $5000, so yes, I would bring a $1400-$1500 bass to a gig.

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I bring my Alembic to the local Blue Jams in the red-neck bars around by me all the time!! (Geez I miss NY!!)

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've played several $2200 basses and my vintage P in clubs, dives, parties, basements, etc.

What's the point of having one if you can't play it? Why use a nice bass for practicing, then switch out to a cheapo that doesn't look or sound half as good once you get in front of people?

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The point in owning it is to play it... On the other hand I had to fly to Europe recently and I didn't talk my basses. And that bass is over the $1500 mark.

I wouldn't take an expensive bass with me if I have to make more than one connection on a plane. I've been back for two weeks and just got my luggage two days ago!! Imagine of that was my bass!

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I tell ya what - let's trade places. My goal in life - years from now - is to land where You are. :)

[Many more months a year on the motorcycle]

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i invested in my instruments so i could play them.
    i've had a few stolen, but i'm not going to let some a-holes
    ruin my party. they're just tools anyway. the extra dough to insure stuff is well worth it.
    doug
    oh, just thought i'd add there's a great service called rockit cargo that specializes in shipping instruments
    overseas. it's not exactly cheap, but your gear is insured and treated gently.
    http://www.rockitcargo.com/
    d

15. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I would use any of my basses on a job. What good is a great bass if it's sitting at home unplayed?

Jim

16. Agreed - basses are made to be played, take the bass you need for the gig, whatever the cost is (except very dodgy gigs, but you don't take very dodgy gigs do you ?). Now I think it's a good idea to have a very good insurance for your instruments. My upright basses are worth 10x what you mentionned, and I have them well insured, by a company which only insures musical instruments, and that affords me the peace of mind.

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    On the other hand, if you look at marching band or drum corps, they have far more expensive instruments (esp. brass) than many premium basses and they bring those instruments out all the time to brave the elements. And this is not even mentioning people bumping into each other, pushing, shoving, falling in the dirt, etc. while trying to learn marching routines. So I agree with the constituent who say that quality instruments really are built to last.

Sure it's heartbreaking when you get that first ding on your precious baby. But that hard lacquer finish is there to protect your bass from dings. And if your bass is oil finished, you can just sand out the ding.

My Warwick Corvette (which I bought from a TBer for $700) is my go-to bass for anything. Even at a somewhat rowdy gig, I have full confidence, because that bass is built like a tank. My cheapie backup (a low-end Ibby Soundgear), while still a good bass, feels flimsy in comparison.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    unfortunately, i do it all the time.

thankfully my audience still thinks its seeing an ibanez. mass hypnosis works! :)

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My sterling gets gigged, and thats about $1250, and my HH SR5 willbe gigged thats about 1400-1500

20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I would say, if you have a 1500 dollar bass, but you show up to gigs with a 300 dollar bass, why exactly do you have that 1500 dollar bass? ;)

Seriously though, I can't afford to have a great bass that I am not going to actually use. Granted not all of them get equal time, but shelling out 3000 for a bass that I won't take out just don't sound right. I dead mint 63 jazz I could see, but anything else is getting some time in!