1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bringing out the red in Pau Ferro fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mattpnolan, Aug 1, 2017.

1. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does anyone have any recommendations on how to really bring out the red tint in a Pau Ferro fretboard without a "hard" finish?

In other words, I still want to feel the wood (that's why I won't play Maple fingerboards or Rics, because I don't like the feel).

Any wood polish or conditioner or dye that would stick and really bring out the red?

Thank you!!

2. JAKeverline

JAKeverline

Jan 16, 2015
    Austin Texas
    I would say your best bet is a couple thin coats of an oil type finish. Though oil finishes harden, they soak into the wood, leaving you that wood feel you are looking for.

3. Oil finish does open up oil wood dye options too.

4. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Something like Colortone Fretboard oil?

And mix in a little Colortone Liquid Stain to that oil? Or a different kind of dye/stain? I saw somewhere else that someone recommended a leather dye.

5. JAKeverline

JAKeverline

Jan 16, 2015
    Austin Texas
    Yes. That would work perfectly.

I don't know about mixing it in with the oil, but maybe apply and let dry before applying the oil.

NoNoise likes this.
  6. I've never tried dye mixed in truoil but, on a body at least, dying the wood then wiping truoil over the top works very well. I've never tried it on a fretboard but, I imagine, it would wear about as well as lacquer and it would be pretty easy to add a touch up down the road.