1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bringing the soundman around

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by riotorgun, May 14, 2011.

1. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    we sometimes gig in the local pub,i know the pub i know how loud/what tone fits my band in there.we enter a BOB get through the first round where he tells me im doing everything wrong ect
    next round i setup same as before he's singing my praises because my sound fits my band.anyone else had this?

2. So what's your point? Maybe the soundman wasn't paying attetion to you the first time.
    Did the soundman do anything to improve or decrease teh quality of your sound?

3. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    well the first time i was too loud/should of used his rig less of everything ect this time it was wow that was cool bring that too the next gig,if he wasnt paying attention he shouldnt be the soundman IMO

4. Sorry, but I still fail to see the point of your rant.

5. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    well first time im wrong,next time im right even though its identical,just a case of the soundman thinking the bassist knows whats right for his band,also is your name from the band?if so awesome

6. What you have is the typical case of a soundman, who thinks he knows everything, but in fact, he doesn't know how to handle a live situation.

Yes, my forum name is because I loved that Englisch Hardcore/Metal Band

7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I think he just finds it odd that he could use the same rig, settings, bass, etc. and get two polar opposite opinions on his sound from the same guy.

OP, there are myriad possibilities. It's possible something else about the conditions of the room changed. Or someone else in your band changed something. Maybe you were playing better. Or maybe your placement in the room was slightly different. Or maybe there were more or fewer people in the room. Heck, maybe the temperature or humidity changed. It's impossible to say without a lot more info. It could be just one thing or a combination of things that changed. That change--or those changes--may have caused your sound engineer to perceive you sitting better in the mix than before.

If you're certain you changed absolutely nothing with your own setup, try to think of other things that may have changed. Perhaps identifying those things will help guide you in the future when it comes to self mixing in varied conditions.

Beyond that, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Could have just been the soundguy was sober the first time he heard you, and then he tipped the flask or stepped out for a smoke... Or both.

8. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    yep he was a constant knob twiddler,hellbastard are awesome crustpunk all the way

9. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    it was almost identical everything the soundman was drinking energy drink i dont think i played any better than before if anything worse.it was just weird im not bothered aslong as the next gig he's a happy chappy.

10. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Maybe when he realized you weren't going to be eliminated after round one he decided to kiss your butt a little.

11. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    true,its all silly tho a bands good or its not...also now the band that lost want too fight us which is funny the joys of the internet and kids