British amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Mar 18, 2001.

1. What kinds of british bass amps are there on the matket???
    I know of Ashdown and Orange...but that's about it....
  2. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Trace Elliot and Marshall amps are UK made too
  3. Hello Relman (again)!

I understand Vox are doing something again, these days. If you're after older stuff, and my memory's correct that the following 3 are British amps, you could look for Sound City, Hi-Watt, HH. The first two were known for valve heads whilst HH were known for transistor gear. Then there's always the older Vox kit, of course.

There's Carlsbro, too. In the earlier days they enjoyed a less that fashionable reputation for various reasons. That reputation stuck with them, I'm affraid. They're still producing gear and it's reckoned to be quite good, though.

best regards.

Rockin John
  4. there's Laney too. Geezer Butler used them for a while in the early days of Black Sabbath.
  5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Ha! I use Laney too! Hopefully, someone from their marketing department will read this, and give me a whopping big sponsorship deal. Well, I can dream... :(
  6. Laney used to be a "poor man's Trace Elliot" with their G range, but now seem to be going for a "poor man's Ampeg" type thing.
    they'll no doubt be doing a "poor man's Ashdown" range soon.
    my G150 and 4X10 was actually pretty good for the money- a fat warm sound (not for slap:)) and reliable, but kept making farting noises when I wanted it to cut through. I suppose a fart can cut through, but it's not too pleasant.