Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

British bassist (need some help)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris861, Aug 16, 2005.

1. chris861

chris861

Aug 16, 2005
    Right, just signed up for this forum today and by the sound of it, you guys know it all so if you wouldn't mind helping me out, i'd be grateful.

I've been playing for 4 and a bit years and at the moment i have a yamaha BB604. This bass is lovely but i've been saving and now i have around £1000 to spend on a new bass.

I have just started playing in a funk rock band and i've been looking at fenders and warwicks especially the warwick streamer jazzman. (5 string version). I'm really considering buying a 5 string jazz bass too.

Are there any people who could advise me on what to spend my money on? (e.g what make, model, amount of strings etc)

Thanks a lot, Chris...

Oh and if there is thread of a similar sort, i'm sorry. i searched and everything :meh:

2. chris861

chris861

Aug 16, 2005
    Oh yeh, and i love to play slap...

Cheers

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The best thing to do is to get to some really good bass shops and try as many basses as you can - then decide what suits you - what feels good in your hands and what sounds how you want to sound!!

Put aside a whole day maybe and go into London - go to the Bass Centre and/or Bass Gallery and try loads of basses!! They are friendly helpful people, but if you're nervous, tell them you have money to spend and what would they reccomend you try - remember you don't have to buy anything, but that would be a good start! :)

You have the money they have the basses - make the most of this opportunity, get the right bass for you and above all - have fun!! :D

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Seconded! Try a lot of stuff and don't neglect the second hand market. With £1000 to spend, you've got a stack of options, so enjoy the experience!

Wulf

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    For less than that you can get yourself a Spector Euro or Euro LX 5 string from Sound Control..... check it out! :bassist:

Good luck!

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Between the two you mentioned, I'd go for the Warwick.. The pup combination on the Jazzman coupled with it being a 5 string should afford you both the tonal variety and range necessary for just about any gig situation.

Welcome to TalkBass and good luck!!

:)

7. Go here - http://www.thebassgallery.com/ they keep a good selection of second hand but good quality basses - and you'll get nice freindly service too. The Bass Center near Liverpool street in London is also worth a visit and if you're into Warwick's then they have a huge selection - possibly the biggest in the UK - in one shop.

Good luck and take your time - bear in mind if you get the right bass you should be set for the next few years - so make sure you try a few - and if they aren't set up how you like them, then ask - most places will be very helpful - especially the two shops above.

Cheers

M

8. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    To throw a wrench in the wheel, I'll say the exact opposite of mark beem... :D I wouldn't go for the Warwick if you're into funk/slap. To me they sound kind of dark and merky. In your price range Fenders or Music Mans should be an easy buy. There are probably also a lot of possibilities in the used market. Ultimately, like others said, you have to try things for yourself and discover what you like. It can be a long process, but try as much as you can so you minimize how much money is wasted buying and selling over the years like many of us have done.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't take anybody's word for it - try for yourself and then decide! :)

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    "The tone is in your hands."

Jaco

;) :p

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +1000000

Oh and for anyone who thinks you can't slap Warwicks, go listen to Stuart Zender's slap tone on Jamiroquai's Return Of The Space Cowboy.

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    :eyebrow:

I don't know about everyone else, but of the various warwicks i've played, none of them have sounded dark or murky... Actually, most warwicks i've played have been brighter than any other bass i've played (due to wenge/ovangkol neck and bell brass frets).

Anyway, i'd have to agree with mark beem, go for the warwick (if you like it)

13. Take this guy's advice. You will get much more of a bass, and spend less than if you went with either of the other two.

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Look for a secondhand Status. There was/is a Kingbass 34" BO at Bass Gallery for UKP995

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Bruce basically hit the nail on the head here... I made a suggestion based on the two instruments you mentioned in your initial post and based on my personal experiences in having owned basses by both makers.

As you see, everyone who has replied and who will reply here is going to give you a different suggestion on which bass is right for you based on their own preferences and experiences... Ultimately you're going to have to take the time to get out to some shops and try stuff out.

Only -you- can determine which bass is right for you..

16. Hazaah! Another British bassist! Welcome to the forum!

I ventured into Bristol sound control a few weeks ago and played the fretted streamer jazzman, and it slaps great. Very versitile bass, I am currently waiting for my fretless version to arrive. I also tried the Spector euro 4, and again it was a great bass. If they could have got a fretless version for me I wouldve been torn between them, but they couldnt, and I love warwicks anyways!

You need to try a heap of basses though and see what suits. When you find one that suits, you'll know :smug:

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where in the UK are you based, Chris? There's enough of us on this small island to stand a good chance of giving you advice on good places to look that are local to you.

Wulf

18. chris861

chris861

Aug 16, 2005
    Wow thanks for all that to everyone who replyed.
    not many musicians or people in general would have replyed in such quantity to that thread. Makes me proud to be a bassist you know!

Well i live in romsey, very near southampton. There is a sound control opening here on sept 3rd which is going to be amazing because from what i've seen, ITS HUGE!

I've taken in all of your advice and im going to look at lots of basses around the price make eg the status, music mans, fenders and warwicks.

I'd still be grateful for anymore advice.
    Does anyone else live in or around southampton?

When i finally get my bass, i'll post up here with my decision!

Thanks everyone! :bassist:

19. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    +1 Especially if you like slap... And since you're in the UK it'll be easier for you to get a hold of one. But yeah, like the rest said, you have to try them all for yourself.

20. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I'm UK based too, Sound Control aren't bad but their range isn't the greatest. If you can make the trip, the London Bass Center and London Bass Gallery will not dissapoint, huge Warwick selection between them in particular.