British Humor

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike88T, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Is it just me or are British comedies just Funnier then US ones?

Monty Python was truely the first thing on TV I saw that made me crack up. Many more have done so since, if you don't knows who the guy in the picture is your missing something truely funny.

2. Absolutely Fabulous?

Keeping Up Appearances?

I'll pass...

I didn't get The Young Ones most of the time either...
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    A sense of humour is a funny thing :meh:

I'd say and I'm English that some British Comedy's are funnier than some US ones and the definition of funny is in the eye of the beholder.

Both of those examples are 1 quite old 2 were never regarded as 'mainstream' in their time. Many people do not 'get' Alexi Sayle. I personally found Monty Python and Stuff amusing rather than side splitting. Sometimes comedians develop over time. Alexi Sayle started out with cameo roles in the Young Ones. Sometimes French and Saunders would appear who were slightly funny. They had a couple of shows one with Ruby Wax and were generally unfunny. Years later Jennifer Saunders starred in Absolutely Fabulous (with Joanna Lumley) and Dawn French in the Vicar of Dibley-both of which were very successful and very funny (darling).

I personally really like Dad's Army and if anyone wants to slip in some catch phrases, please do.

TW this is my first post for a while so hello if you know me.
  4. I like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but that is about it for British comedy.

5. "The Goon Show"
    "Take It From Here"
    "Round The Horn"
    "At Last The 1948 Show"
    "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again"
    "Do Not Adjust Your Set"
    "The Burkiss Way To Dynamic Living"
    "Monty Python"
    "Ripping Yarns"
    "The Goodies"

etc. etc.

- Wil
  6. My appreciation of comedy runs to more dry writer driven stuff so maybe that has something to do with it but I can only think of three examples where American TV has done anything that off the wall. In Living Color and Mad TV come to mind but not much else. I am not saying all British stuff is funny; I personally can't find anything that funny about Keeping Up Appearances but I find One Foot in the Grave quite funny.
    I think this all stems from the couple of years I had a night job and got stuck on East Enders. Granted I only see what is available here and I am sure there is a load of garbage TV that I don’t get from over there If I were to go by what I can see here in the States I would think 80% of the shows are all about buying/selling/fixing your house/garden/life and the other 20% is drama and news.
    Vicar of Dibley is great.
    Knock Knock.
    Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French were in a show together before either of those two that I can’t remember the name of, from what I gather they have been quite a creative force over there for a while now.
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It's all subjective.

I have a pretty dry sense of humor and love some British comics. Eddie Izzard, the Monty Python crew and the series the Office are outstanding!

At the same time though, there's a lot of great American comedy, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, plus Mr. Show and a notable portion of Saturday Night Live's material is wonderful.

I get tired of comics that do the same old routines about "Women are so different from men", or overused topical humor. The people I listed before have all surprised me and made me laugh.
  8. See I don't recognize any of those except for the last four and only two of those well.

How could I forget Black Adder, Rowan Atkinson is great.
  9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've only seen bits of "The Goon Show," but I want to see more. "The Goodies" were great; I'd forgotten about them. And I was always a big Monty Python fan.

Anyone remember The Marty Feldman Show, shown on US network TV around 1971 or 72?
  10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We are so starved for something funny here in America that we focus in on the British stuff. As far as "Keeping up appearances" liked it because Onslo was the english version of white trash. "Are you being served" was unwatchable just because it sucked in any country.
  11. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    MadTV rules. Or at least it did a few years ago, catch some of the reruns on Comedy Central... good shiznit. Stuart!
  12. It's sometimes tough for us colonists to get Brit humour because of 2 things:

1. The accent and our unfamiliarity with the differences in language and the speed at which conversation takes place.

2. British humor (our) is often a little more highbrow than what we are used to in the states. Not always but often.

That said, I never fail to laugh at Fawlty Towers or an episode of Upstairs/Downstairs (not humor per se but often very funny). The Python movies always lost me with the silliness but the weekly show could really be entertaining. The recent swell of independent movies from the Isles are pretty good - The Full Monty, Ed Flanders. As for comics, Lee Evans has made me pee in my pants before.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In October I was in London and got to see "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" on TV. It's a great show, and it's very fast, but unfortunately I was jet lagged and exhausted, and so I wasn't a very sharp viewer.
  14. great. now i've got alexei's song about doc martens uniting the world in air cushioned peace stuck in my head.

there's good comedy on both sides of the pond.
  15. I forgot to mention him - thanks for the reminder! Marty Feldman started as a writer ("Round The Horne", "The Frost Report" to name just two) - he made various TV shows before getting into films ("Every Home Should Have One", "Young Frankenstein", "The Silent Movie", "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother", "The Last Remake of Beau Jeste", "Yellowbeard") - a great talent, but he died of a heart attack while filming "Yellowbeard" - he was only 49.

- Wil
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    For the most part, I hate British humor. It's just annoying.

There are a few bits that I like though.
  17. British Humor?

Like the turn-around chasses and People chasing each other... then coming back and the opposite person is chasing them... dumb... yet funny :)
  18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Let's be fair... what do the British think about American humor? What stinks?
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  20. I've always liked british skit comedy (Monty Python) but I am more partial to American stand up. It's probably the accent. And, I can't imagine Larry the Cable Guy saying "git 'er dun" with any other accent. :D