1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

British Humor

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderjazz68, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Why do you assume there is a joke there?

There is no joke, the Edinburgh Festival is not all comedy, its also fringe acts.

2. Just assumed that there was some type of joke...

I mean why do it if you don't tie it into the act?

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It may well be the act or part of it. It could be a fringe performance. I have heard of "fringe" stage shows where naked women paint pictures with "blood" from their own bodies. That doesn't mean it has to be a joke. Its art. Although, in that case it also sounds like a bit of a joke to me ;)

4. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    And you have never had a vacuum hose stuck to your....

never mind :bag:

5. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Officer Dewey?

6. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    you want british humor? Here it is......A MAN DRESSED AS A WOMAN!!!! now that is british humor.

7. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    How can you not find a dwarf gluing "himself" to a vacum cleaner at least a little funny...

;-)

ian

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Actually, from what I have observed, the British humour the Americans all the time! :D

9. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    When I first read the title to this thread I thought it was an oxymoron...;)

10. ROFL, actually that is the joke now that you pointed it out...:bag:

11. Now see, to be funny there'd have to be a hint of truth in that statement when, of course, there isn't. We do humour better than anyone else. Dead pan, sarcasm (you lot have never understood that one), understatement (we rule at that), slapstick, off the wall, irreverence... Blackadder, Red Dwarf, The Office (which actually I don't like), The Mighty Boosh, The Pink Panther (Steve Martin just couldn't 'do' it), Mr Bean, Monty Python... there's nothing American that even comes close, mainly because it's all team-written, three gags a minute and dreadfully predictable.

Oh, except Family Guy, the first couple of series.

I think Aussie humour is pretty similar...we both like to laugh at yanks ;)

12. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    green wing, coupling, extras, how do you want me? those are some other good british tv shows too. bu i have to stand by my comment that british people seem to find a man dressed in womens clothing funny. not trying to insult anyone here, just watch any monty python...ANYTHING. lol

13. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Easy there mate...you say 'we' have never understood sarcasm when you obviously missed the point of my statement. And you have absolutely no idea of what we "lot" do and do not understand. Living here for 24 years, I have yet to meet every person in America and I feel I can safely say neither have you. So where is your authority on commenting about the trends in humour in this society? I sure hope its not just the horrid TV shows and whored out film titles you mentioned because that is a very poor representation of humour in this country and society.

And while making a beautiful list of the humour that Brits do indeed do very well, and pointing out what is and has been painfully true about the American/Pop-Culture/Mainstream garbage that's filled the air waves and movie stores for the past 20+ years(good job on that one Head Sergeant Investigator of the Obvious), you are giving people in your country a bad name by sounding like a highly pretentious, pompus ass.

cheers

p.s.
    And I very much enjoy a good laugh at yanks as well! ;)

14. The Brits imo pump out some of the very best humor and music the world has ever seen.

I agree with the last post too, Aussies do like to laugh at the yanks! But also themselves. Aussies will use anything to laugh at. I thought Michael Richards was very funny until he showed his true colours.

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Now that's hilarious, right there! :)

16. Want british humor? watch CNN, thats what we do for a laught :p

How can that not be funny :bag:

17. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Sorry, boys... Back country redneck here, I gots no idea what y'all Brits is talkin' bout...

I thank I'll jes stick wit' ma shotguns and Steve Martin movies.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    So Serious!!!!!

Go figure :)

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK I'll bite - I judge a nations humour based on the way their tourists interact with the locals. When I'm at the pub or at a gig and I bump in to a person from whatever country, you do notice similarities in the way they present their jokes and which of your jokes they find funny.

On this score, the British and Canadians appear to have a similar sense of humour to us Aussies - generally speaking. I'm not saying American humour isn't as good, I'm saying it's different.