Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

British vs. American

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petary791, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So what is the difference between British an American amps? I've always wondered this.

And what are some good examples of British amp users? My guess is Just Chancellor?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Trace Elliot (former) users:

John Entwistle -The Who
    Steve Harris -Iron Maiden
    Bill Wyman -The Rolling Sones
    Tony Levin -King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, Alice Cooper, etc., etc!

Thats a just a few of them that played Trace equipment.

As far as differences between American and British amps, I have no clue! I personally have always felt that British amps were built better but have nothing to back it up. Its just my perception, right or wrong.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    They sound sexier (Loves his V8)..

Heh, I don't think there is a real difference, although i've always thought of British amps as very well made, where some US made amps are so-so.

4. Does it matter where they are made, its all down to the quality of the people who design and manufacture (aswell as parts used)

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Think Steve Harris will ditch the Marshall's and go back to TE?

6. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    As many years as he played them, maybe. It would be very wise IMO for the new Trace to get back some of its old users. However, they better build some really good equipment if they want a chance to bring them back.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree in large part with the concept that it doesn't matter where it is made, so long as it is a quality amp. However, this does raise an interesting question about common tendencies/tonalities in British amps versus american amps. In the audiophile world (I can hear some of you shudder with fear at the very mention of the "A word!" ;)), British gear certainly does have its characteristic approach to sonic replication. My office audio system is all British (Arcam electronics with ProAc speakers), while my home audio system is all American, or mostly so. But I digress...

In the bass amp world, all I have to go on is the Trace Elliot gear I have tried and own (specifically, the pre-Gibson gear) and my Eden VT-300A, which was made by Koch (in England). My V8 and my VT-300A certainly have some common characteristics (flexible, though not overly complex, EQ options; clean versus overdive gain stages; footswitchable compressor; similar range of tones), though they differ plenty, also. Comparing these amps to Ampeg and Aguilar (who are themselves quite different from one another), you still find some common themes echoing the British versus American heritage.

The British take on what is "hi-fi" (seemingly in both the home audio and pro audio worlds) is very interesting, yet hard to describe. In some ways, it is not as immediately exciting, but ultimately it proves to be rather natural and quite revealing of source material (be it recordings or instruments). Personally, I will always like both the high quality British approach and the high quality American approach (be it in my audio system or bass rig), and it certainly is interesting how we cousins across the Pond have similar, yet somewhat different, approaches to such things.

Now, as for beer and cider, the Britts have us beat handily, except for the microbrews. :D

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ahhh, excuse me?

9. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's OK. It's when I hear "psychoacoustics" that's when I shudder with fear!(knowing that a while load of BS is coming my way!)

10. this applies to everything, not just amps

american > british

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Are you not a fan of British beer? Do you prefer Budweiser? You Aussies have some good beer yourself, but I was just comparing British to American. And as for cider, the USA is just starting to grasp the concept.

Tom.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's allright then. As long as you know, we own both you and Britain in beer, it's all good ;)

We have some good apple cider from Tasmania (does that really count though?) but that's all :(

13. Not that anyone cares, but I'm enjoying some Bass Pale ale as we type. Back on topic: I don't know.

Mike

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Can you recommend any specific brands (which you know to be exported to the US)?

Thanks, Tom.

P.S.
    Sorry for the derailment, but this is important stuff here! I mean, it's beer we're talking about!!!

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I hope I'm not asking for more information than I can handle, but I wasn't that there was a new Trace - let alone an old Trace, for that matter. Please enlighten me: What's been going on with Trace Elliot since my last serious look at their gear, some 8-10 years ago?

MM

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    We have some decent ciders here in central California... But we also have a Bud factory on the way to the coast :scowl:

17. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OMG, you have been living in a cave! ;)

Trace Elliot was sold to Gibson in 1997. A couple of years ago Trace just sort of disappeared and the fate of Trace was unknown. Low and behold a few months ago Peavey purchased Trace from Gibson. New products are to be released later this year.

BTW, check out these two threads:

Truth be told...
    the TRACE ELLIOT thread

18. you hate america!! j/k ;)

19. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Lots of people talk about british amps and their distinctive tone but that's pretty much just in guitar amps where british amps have a reputation and a destinctive tone (Orange/Matamp, Marshall etc.) With reguards to bass amps there's really no difference and it really doesn't matter.