British WEM amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Ever seen these on old Tull, Floyd, Hendrix album covers? I always wondered what these were! They could have been the cat's meow, or pieces of $#!+. Someone out there has had to come across these amps. They made PA stuff too. I used to love to see Traffic with their Acoustic amps on stage. Real old memories.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member\ Rock- That was one I almost forgot about until I remember the Beatles using them right before the break up.
  3. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    As it goes, I used to have a pair of WEM PA 4x10 column cabs, which me and my bro got for nowt. Fantastic sound, but they were just too darn big.

We sold them for 150 quid in the end and bought a smaller used PA system. (which we then sold a couple of years later, due to its bulkyness and weight. We've now got a luurvly Fender Passport system).

I do sometimes regret selling them, because they sounded great and looked the biz. But I don't miss the multiple car trips.
  4. Pink Floyd's Ummagumma album has a picture of this gear.
  5. They use tons of it on "Live at Pompeii"!
  6. The only WEM gear I ever had was a copycat tape echo unit. Magic. WHY did I sell it?

Played through an old WEM 50 or 70 watt guitar combo last summer. Nothing special.....