Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Britney Spears!!~1!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Llama's Rage, Jul 30, 2005.

1. So my friend and I were jamming on Toxic :D

Anyone else play stupid pop songs like this or are we just losers :spit:

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Um....yeah. The latter. Have you tried any Jaco? :p

3. joeyhimself

joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    I have an album called "Punk Goes Pop." I'm sure I'm the only TBer who has it, or claims to have it, but it's got a bunch of classic pop songs by some pretty rockin' bands. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    When it comes to pop, I seem to prefer Asian pop (i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki) and like to jam along to that.

Still, jamming along to a Britney tune isn't a bad thing. I mean, you never know when you might be called upon to do a pop gig of that nature, so you had better know how best to approach that style of music. I'm of the mentality that beggars can't be choosers when it comes to getting gigs so whether I'm called upon to do Britney-style pop or brutal death metal, I'd better be able to deliver.

5. I don't think you should be ashamed for playing Toxic. What makes it so embarrassing about it is that it is a Britney Spears song, not that it is a bad song. I think Toxic is probably the best song her and her band (yes, kudos to both) have put out in terms of feel, originality from the standardness of pop songs, and just coolness. I know a few people who are not Britney Spears people who have covered Toxic.

6. :p

7. When I was in a pop punk band, we played a backstreet boys song.

We thought we were being original. We weren't.

8. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    The people who made Toxic did a good job. Britney didn't =D

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

THANK YOU! I loathe when pop punk bands cover Britney/Backstreet/N'Sync and act like it's the funniest thing ever and are in awe when I'm not rolling on the floor.

10. +1.

Physical violence toward a deceased equine. :oops:

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I believe Cathy Dennis (of Touch Me (All Night Long)) fame wrote this song! It's not a bad song if the band can play it tightly! Our band tried....................... :crying:

12. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    A song is a song. Has anybody heard Richard Thompson do "Oops I Did It Again"?

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Yeah I'll agree with most everybody here. Toxic was a pretty damn good club song. Not something you'd find me going out my way to listen to, but when it came on the radio, I didn't reach for the dial.

14. yeah, when its done to be funny, it really isnt

when they do a decent cover of a song that isnt being taken the piss its good, ie bands like goldfinger and 7 Seconds covering 99 red ballons