Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BRMC overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RollingMonkey, Nov 16, 2004.

1. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    I'm not a big fan of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, but I really dig their bassist's distortion. Anyone have any idea what he uses?

2. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I've got the "Later... with Jools Holland - Louder" DVD with them doing Spread Your Love on it. I can't identify the pedal he's using, but I've attached a screengrab of his board. At the end of the song, he stomps the pedal nearest the camera off. Dunno what it is - from the shape, it could be an Electro-Harmonix hot tubes.

The other thing is that he plays a Gibson EB-2 bass, so that mudbucker will be a big part of the sound.

Hope that helps...

3. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    I think he might (or used to) use a EHX Big Muff. And he always used to play an Epiphone Rivoli, and i'm pretty sure that's what the first album was recorded with.

4. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Thanks, guys. Although I doubt my local music shop will ever get any EHX stuff... which is a pity because I'd like to try it out.

5. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    It looks like EHX Black Finger compressor

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    IMO the big humbucker in the neck position is more responsible for his tone. Bith distorted and undistorted. I can easely get his tone with most overdrives using the neck pup on my Lakland Hollowbody.

7. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    You have a point, Jock. Although I can't imagine getting that sound with a Boss ODB-3 no matter how hard one tries. :)

8. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Yeah - it's definitely more of a EHX/Big Muff-type tone than an ODB-3 thing.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thats true. There must be a really angry bee inside that pedal. :D