Broad Lakland question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theagnesjar, May 29, 2005.

1. theagnesjar

Oct 11, 2004
    So I have a Lakland Skyline which I am in no rush to be rid of, however I feel that my current amp/cab set up does not do it justice. What kind of stuff do you guys recommend (amp or cab or both) that will give me a nice crisp rock sound but also support the low B's? I would appreciate any other advice besides names of products as well.

(btw i have a Yorkville Bassmaster xs800 and an Ampeg 610)

2. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I've got a Lakland 55-01 and my Avatar 212 and 410 seem to be doing the trick. I have them set up on the seperate channels of my QSC right now...I'm able to dial in a lil more 212 or a lil more 410 as I see fit. Right now I'm into a more low mid mid rangey sound out of the 410 and keeping that ahead of the 212 right now.
  3. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The best sound I ever got with my Lakland 4-94 was when playing through an EBS Gorm 2x10 was a killer little amp and perfectly complemented the Lakland...really fat and warm with good definition.
  4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    An Ampeg 6x10" doesn't do well with a Low B string? That doesn't sound right. Those are usually pretty deep Maybe you are looking for more of a 15" or 18" depth?
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have the opposite opinion. The SVT cabs fart out quite easy IMO.
    The 410Hlf is the only SVT cab that can take the lows somewhat goog. The 610 I tried farted at store volume. But I think I have a heavy attack.
    Try a good 1x15 cab with some tens to see what real lows are like. I reckomend Glockenklang if you are in Europe or Bergantino, Epifani, Euphonic Audio, Acme etc if you are in The USA.
    As always YMMV.
  6. theagnesjar

Oct 11, 2004
    I am willing to hold on to the Ampeg 610 because it is pretty good, although i know there is better stuff out there. I have access to some Eden stuff so I think I'm ok in the cab department. What I'm really inquiring about is a good make of amp that will compliment the Lakland at the 610 cab level. I'm relatively new at shopping around for bass stuff, so I'd appreciate any advice. I've been advised to consider frequencies when buying gear for a 5 string, but then again, i don't know a whole lot.

Thanks again
  7. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Well, your computer is the wrong spot to find an amplifier you like.

The only way to find one is to take your bass and your amp and your Ampeg and go to a music store and try different amplifiers and different cabinets.

My experience is that the biggest difference you'll find with diffferent cabinets.
    The Yorkville is a pretty good amp - not top of the line but pretty decent and very flexible.

I would say that your equipment is definately decent and you should be able to get a good sound.
  8. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    You mentioned that you are pretty new to bass, so let me say something from 20 years of experience:

1) The bass sound in your head may not work on stage.

On stage it is much more important that you have a sound that cuts through than that you have a sound that has lots of thunder. Very often the thundering bass sound obstructs the rest of the band and causes all kind of problems. Your 6x10 may not be super deep, but on stage it works very well.

2) Sound changes with volume. Drastically.
    The Ampeg is built to sound good when its turned up really, really loud. At low volumes it may be too tame. If you buy a cab that has more bass, make sure that when you turn it up you don't have too much bass. (see 1)

9. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    keep the 6x10 and get a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+. You won't be sorry. Oh but get a back brace because that head weighs 89 lbs.
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have a Lakland Skyline 55-01 as well and although I've not played them together, I do have a lot of in-store test drive experience with the XS800.

I don't think the XS800 is the limiting factor. It's 600-800 watts seem pretty muscular to me, and the tube overdrive does really work to thicken things up if you like. For that matter, I don't think any amp would be the limiting factor if frequency response for a 5-string was the key consideration. Speakers put more restrictions on full frequency response compared to amps.

That being said, I do still like the tone of my Ampeg SVT3 Pro and haven't been prompted to trade it to get the additional power of the Yorkville.

You might want to try some different heads with your Ampeg cab (maybe an Ampeg) and some different cabs with the Yorkville.

Like some have said previously, it's hard to give you advice on what gear to get that will render the "tone" you want. You can only hear that for yourself once you've tried it.