Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broadband users: get a pair of new shorts ready.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm at 273 k/sec right now. Looks like it'll rock.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It rocked my small, self-centered universe. Rocked it to its core.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I saw this a few days ago and failed to see what the attraction was. *SPOILERS* (someone complained below)Doesn't anyone else think it's funny (as in pathetic) when geriatric Superman shows up?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Um, no?

You're like a small child, Donny: you've got no frame of reference.

That's a classic bit of writing, from what is probably the best Batman story ever told. In "The Dark Knight Returns," Miller portrays Batman as pushing 70, and Superman doing the same. As does Mark Ward in "Kingdom Come." Superheros aren't immune to time, you know. That they included it makes it even cooler, since the people behind it actually appreciate comic continuity.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow. That rocked me so hard I had to go outside to smoke and think about it for a few minutes.

Upon reflection, I have a couple problems with it. All this is going on the assumption that it's a trailer for a single film, but it seems to me that there's enough going on there for three. I dig it, though. Since it's on fanfilms.com I guess it was done on the cheap (like costs for creation of props and things only, with people being involved just because they wanted to be involved, and that is what's truly amazing to me about it. Work that good, done just because they love doing the ****. That blows me away.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know. It was like "Wow, my favorite movie ever is less than 6 minutes."

I dunno, you should see how much you can pack into a single issue of a comic. A lot can happen in 26 pages, and even more can happen in a 4 issue arc. I'm such a comic nerd that I didn't even notice how much was "going on." It's pretty easy, if you just tell the story, and don't have the Sergio Leon *zoooooom on squinty eyes* *zooooom on rippling jaw muscles* *zooooom on twiching fingers* *Draw* style of filmaking. The trick to superhero films is to not pander to the LCD, and tell the story. If you're watching "Grayson" (hypothetically speaking if it was a full 2 hour movie), you already know a lot of what's going on, characters, back histories, motivations, etc.

By fans, for fans. Which is how I watched it, and loved it. I see what you mean, but then again, I hate pandering to casual fans "Oh, who's Wolverine?" Cut the backstory. Less sob, more stab.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm downloading it now. Is this as good as the Batman vs. Joker vs. Aliens vs. Predators thing last year?

Oh, and Jared--the next time you want to announce something like Superman showing up on the first page of the thread, you might want to include a SPOILER WARNING. :mad:

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think that's one of the things that caused me to feel like I missed so much in the film. I was always a Marvel fan, so I didn't get a lot of what was going on. My brother was into DC stuff way more than I was. Now that you mention it, though; I remember how arcs like "Revenge of the Spider Slayers" (Amazing Spiderman, I forget the numbers, but it was a 6 issue arc) had like 5 different stories all going at once.

Damn, I wanna pull my comics out and rifle through them again.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's so much better. It makes that Batman film look like Gili, and this is Citizen Kane.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Slacker. A true comic fan is a fan of all companies. Marvel, DC, Darkhorse, Image, Comico.

.... of course, my 2000+ and growing (by leaps and bounds. Another 200 due today) collection of comics doesn't make me look all that sane to most people, does it?

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Never said I was a *true* fan, I just liked what I liked. :) I do remember when Image and Dark Horse came on the scene, though. They were doing some stuff that was just out of this world compared to what I was used to.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    BWAHAHA!! I'm sure all those false comic fans appreciate the enlightenment, Comic Book Guy.

brad cook

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You read it wrong. It was zen, not elitism.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Very sweet trailer, I'm not a Comic book person, so I can't really accurately comment on anything else.

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Excellent...I watched it twice in a row!

My Rickenbacker's named Robin.

Marshall

17. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Awesome. I got goosebumps.

If these people can make this quality of film on an independent budget, imagine what they could do with Hollywood money. Scary good.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well as someone who doesn't care about comics I just recognized the fact that it looked absolutely ridiculous. ;) Not to mention the really cheesy dialogue and poor writing etc. But it's fan made, and in that sense it is pretty well done since it somewhat resembles a "real" movie. For that I definitely applaud them.

It seems I am in the general minority when it comes to this trailer in terms of liking it. :)

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:eek:

Sorry! I guess I didn't think a trailer to a movie that doesn't exist, which no one knew about anyway, would have spoilers. ;) I'll go back and fix it though.