Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

broadening my music taste

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RedGrange, Sep 29, 2000.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I am trying to open up to all types of music. Right now I'm into really dark, old jazz... but I don't know of any good artist to look into. I want something with great basslines and driving emotion...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's a huge amount of things you could try of course, but from my experience, what comes closest to what you are describing is Charlie Mingus's music - "Haitian Fight Song" fits this to a tee.

3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i listen to the meat puppets, husker du, the minutemen, the bad brains, the replacements, saccharine trust, those have some pretty decent bass, try listening to some of that

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, but none of these really counts as a "dark, old Jazz" artist do they?! :rolleyes:

5. what i have been listening to:
    not so dark not really jazz:
    brian eno-another green world percy jones plays very sweet and emotional. not so dark but great jazz: paul chambers- bass on top. really dark really dark jazz: john coltrane- sun ship jimmy garrison backing up coltrane in a dark mood. slightly jazzy, mostly funky: frank zappa-the best band you never heard in your life scott thunes in top form.

6. I'm not sure what you mean by "really dark, old jazz". What may be old to you might not seem that old to me. Let's see, your profile says you're 20 years old. How about Miles Davis' recording "Bitch's Brew". I guess that'd be old to you. Its weird, wild, and sometimes dark. Not for everyone, but if you give it a chance it'll grow on you. If not, who have you been listening to and we can try to make some suggestions from that.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Miles Davis's "Bitches Brew" was the begining of fusion. I don't think its the dark old jazz Psobecke is looking for. I would recommed Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" not only bcause it has Paul Chambers on bass, but it is IMO probably the greatest jazz album ever.

8. I agree, "Kind of Blue" is a definite Classic. Watta Band!
    But if you are looking for some cookin' bass lines, try some Ray Brown or Oscar Pettiford.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Great topic. Let's see if it'll get some replies in "Recordings".

Will C.:cool:

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I recommend Mahavishnu Orchestra.

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    It's interesting what the words,"Dark Old Jazz," conjures up. I guess about the only time you could acctualy pidgeon-hole Jazz was back in the 20's. Sure there's a jazz history prior to the twenties but it wasn't until Louis Armstrong that the music started to get promoted to mainstream America.

For me it starts with Satchmo. If you learn a little about how difficult it is to play trumpet and you listen to Louis you'll soon realize that he was proably the most original, athletic (HUGE chops) player of all time. To me he is the Babe Ruth of music. All music.

Then comes Duke Ellington/Strayhorn straight to BeBop and Monk skip to Miles young, Miles new, Wheather Report after that I'm lost. Pat Methany maybe. The rest is mostly a delightfull rehash. I mean that in a positive but realistic way.

Dark Old Jazz that swinging music you hear behind those old black and white cartoons?

12. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    never saw *that* category at tower!!!

check out anything with richard davis on the urb...

for example: "heavy sounds" (with elvin jones on drums), "out to lunch" (by eric dolphy), "persia my dear" (if you can find it), and "astral weeks" (by van morrison)

hmmm... any other richard davis fans out there?

"For one thing, what [Astral Weeks] means is Richard Davis's bass playing, which complements the songs and singing all the way with a lyricism that's something more than just great musicianship: there is something about it that's more than inspired, something that has been touched, that's in the realm of the miraculous."

Lester Bangs

[Edited by iloveloosey on 11-19-2000 at 08:17 PM]

13. When you're done with the "dark" jazz,check out Tito Puente,Arturo Sandoval and other Latin Jazz artists.
    Tito Puente:Cubanisimo! Sultry,sensual and definitely groovin'!!!

14. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY

In heavy rotation right now (actually all the time) is Mingus' Blues & Roots. The album is a low end delight. Besides Mingus there are two 'bones, a bari, a tenor, drums, piano and two altos (hey someones got to play above middle C :))

A very relaxed sounding album, like these guys just showed up and jamed with the tape on. Mingus never gave any of the guys sheet music - he just played it for them on piano until they got it. The album rocks - it's really the only way to describe it. Crying Blues and Tensions may be a little on the slower tempo side, but they are bass monsters. And Moanin', well all I can say is when I can pull off Moanin' in a live gig is the day I'll consider myself a bassist. The whole album just cooks. If you want in your face jazz, this is it. Turn it up and annoy the neibors. :)

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You might try checking out the PBS series, "Jazz" which starts on Monday evening, Jan. 8, a documentary series by Ken Burns. It should be great if you don't have a big problem with Wynton Marsalis' heavy input/ego.

It has 8 parts (I think) which run until late Jan.

16. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Also, check out "Swing: The Joint is Jumpin'" on Bravo.
    I just finished watchin' it. It should be on a few more times though.

Oops! :( . I guess it's sorta' the opposite of what you're lookin' for (dark & old).
    It's more like light/happy/exalted & new/old. Can't help smilin' :D .
    "Nuts and Bats" ~ Would that be a cool band name or what? :p

17. Mingus is right up there with the best. His bass lines and writing have influenced my playing style more than anyone else. He played with a great passion, and to listen to him singing changes while the band is ripping thru very intense passages.... wow.
    You might also want to check Paul Chambers' work with Miles and Coltrane.
    I used to have some Richard Davis on vinyl, he had a couple of really cool solo albums and played on hundreds of others.
    Also...
    Oscar Pettiford, Milt Hinton (R.I.P.), Modern Jazz Quartet.
    And on and on......

18. Potter

Potter

Jan 5, 2001
    I'm pretty young, so I don't know any "old jazz" material, however, if you're looking for emotion with a "jazzy" sound (more alternative), I'd suggest "Esthero"... they're album "breath from another" is really worth it.....
    happy hunting.

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For me, a 57 year old, the embodiment of "old, dark jazz" just has to be the incomparable vocalist Billy Holiday. None can compare to her for the emotion and melancholy in her voice. Her phrasing, her dynamics...no one compares. Yes, she was a vocalist, but listening to her will teach you loads about your own phrasing, dynamics and timing as a bassist. Anyone can play a scale. But what makes music special is the emotion and feel in it. Billy Holiday will teach you that.

Jason Oldsted

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Lady Day, all the way.