Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broke my arm yesterday, any way to continue practicing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FuturePrimitive, Feb 17, 2003.

1. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I broke my right wrist/arm yesterday snowboarding (radius & ulna, NOT a clean break :mad: ) The cast goes nearly all the way up to my shoulder. Is there any real way to practice? I thought I could keep working my left hand, do some fretboard exercises and scales to try and maintain some dexterity. I haven't even tried to strap my bass on yet, it's still quite painful. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd hate to have to go through the next 6-8 weeks without being able to do any practice. I was also supposed to start lessons tomorrow!!! :mad: :rolleyes: Typing is a pain in the ass too!

2. take up synth bass?

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    take up guitar?

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    .....What?

anyway.

Your screwed, sorry dude. doing those hand things will keep up some power, but thats about all you can do if it hurts to play.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Don't touch your bass until you mend completely. Practicing now may cause damage that may prevent you from ever playing again.

Take it easy. It's worth it.

6. Learn to play with your toes.

Seriously, the only thing you can do is take as much care of your wrist and arm as you can so it heals quickly and cleanly. I would go easy on your arm until its better. You don't want to make the injury worse, thus increasing your chances of causing irreversible damage and not begin able to play bass EVER!

I know it can be frustrating, but the best thing you can do is go easy on it for the time being, and then start slow when you take up the bass again.

The one thing I suppose I can reccommend is learn to read music and learning some more theory. These will be extremely handy and useful for playing bass.

Hope you get better soon.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    One hand tapping.

8. Something along those lines.

You broke your right arm, yeah? That's your plucking one, yeah? (I'm assuming you're right handed).

You can still practise with your left hand, fretting notes, going through scales, runs, and so on. Like normal, but all hammer-ons. That way, you are still doing good practise, even though it's not involving your right hand.

Turn your amp up louder so you can hear yourself, of course....

9. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Bummer.

Im surprised klnow-ones suggested it, but learn some more theory!

Nows a great time to get a headstart on notation if your not already familar/good at it. Just buy a 'how to read notation book' or a book with scales/riffs etc in and carry it about with you all the time. Just start buy reading along the staff saying to yourself (or aloud) the notes.

You'll probably find that over some time youll become fluent in naming a note position with a note, however youll then have to work on getting the familiarity between staffed notes and fret positioning.

Hope it helps, and your arm gets better soon!

10. Dave,

You should have done the same thing that Les Paul had done. He was involved in a terrible car accident that broke his arm in several places. The doctors told him that whatever way they set the arm, it wasn't going to bend at the elbow anymore.

So he had it set in the guitar playing position.

Didn't you consult your doctor about you bass playing skills first????...jk.

11. You can still work on ear training, theory and notation, learning the changes to tunes, and pretty much anything which involves using your mind rather than your right hand.

Or strap an Ebow to your bass and practice shifts and slides on one string.

12. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    you actualy can play with your toes if you want. take off your shoes and socks(...duh) if you're wearing them. find a place to sit down nice and low, like a couch. set your bass against the inside of your left knee (if your a righty) and hold the neck with your left hand, play with your right big toe. it takes a lot of practise and getting used to, but if you're really that desprete for some noise, you can give it a shot. it looks silly too:p

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You should still be able to practice fingerings and stuff with your LEFT hand. My drummer broke his Right wrist snowboarding about 6 weeks ago, he is now an amazing left handed drummer, because his right was more or less incapacitated, he learned to play with his left, he also developed a way to hold the stick with his right to at least keep a steady high-hat or snare hit.

Also work on your Theory, if you can't PLAY it then just think about it, think about chord changes and melodies and harmony and walking bass and all that good stuff, visualize what you WOULD do, and then use your left hand to tap it out...don't get too discouraged!

but also listen to Blackbird, don't do anything that might cause you to **** up your arm any more, take it really easy, don't force it.

I hope you get better as soon as possible.

14. I suggested it!!! :spit: :mad: :D

15. try learning to play with out using your right hand to pluck.. like , hammer on everything.

and when your right arm heals, consantrate on tapping...

possiblitys are endless

keep tryin to rock on

:bassist:

16. I broke my thumb and I think I could still play ( I cant really remember I was stoned everyday I had it on so yea...) But Yea you should take it easy, with that kinda break it will hurt like hell to try and play. Just chill out for a little and get all the sorry for chicks (they feel sorry for you so they hang around and stuff, its great :D )

17. Hard luck man :( You could start playing with your teeth a la Hendrix, or just train your ears and learn theory as others have said.

18. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Become a drummer !

19. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    erk, sorry I never noticed :bawl:

20. bassfish

bassfish

Jan 31, 2003
    Helena, Montana
    I agree with blackbird. I broke my wrist and you don't want to be using it much, it it hurts.